very close gear select

Ironsled77

XS650 GRAND HACK
Reaction score
Well I am working the bugs out of my new build. I have pretty much resolved them all except a few( hopefully all but one before this afternoon). So my problem is my shifter movement from gear to gear is nil. From any gear to the next it moves about 1/4 inch. It is going in to gear and it is staying in gear. It doesnt slip out. You just cant tell if you had a positive shift. Not to mention that you cant find netural! I suspect that is the bearing tho. I did shorten the shifter arm by about an 1inch. That is the only thing I can think of. I have adjusted the chain out thinking it was to tight. Also played with the clutch cable,lever,and worm gear to no avail. Any ideas guys?

- does the gear lever want to return to rest once the gear is changed ? if not, is the shaft going through the motor bent ? has the sidecase been off ? does it change with the sidecase off ?

- gear lever shifting up and down but no gear change ? shift shaft return spring ? bent shift fork ?

- problems with neutral are often a mix of clutch adjustment, detent spring and shift-drum-stopper spring tension

- both gears and neutral are easier found when turning the wheel

i think its becuase you shortened the lever. get a replacement from mikes, and see if your problems persist. if it goed away with the new lever, then you might have to deal withit if you are dead-set in a design that requires shortening of the lever.

It is staying in gear. It doesn't skip out or nothing. It is just very tight to where it almost doesn't even feel like its moving. Plus the netural thing. I guess its the short shifter. I like my mids so I guess I'm going to have to deal with it. Was kind of getting use to it this weekend.

Posted via Mobile

Back