Video...Easy way I buffed my hubs,,,, and painted.

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
As some of you might remember I kinda trashed my hubs by bead blasting them with too coarse of media.

Pics here. Post #9

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38641

I tried to buff out the middles. I probably could have done the rear, but it just wasn't happening with the front. So I oppted to paint them. Which I can change at a latter date if I so decide. :D

I used my wheel balancer and a drill. I think I should have not used the coarse Dico wheel on the outside of the hub that I was going to buff. After buffing, I can see some fine scratches. I might go ahead and figure out a way to hook up the drill to my balancer and spin the rod and then sand out the scratches. I'm not into hand sanding. But then again. I might just leave it. :laugh:

Nice work!
A couple of comments; I have fought a very similar battle with corroded mud catcher rims.
Perhaps one step in the process is to mechanically spin the hub and use sand paper on a wood or hard rubber block, this helps "true" the surface. Any of the flexible abrasive wheels tend to create a rippled or wavy surface.
When sanding aluminum using water is about necessary, aluminum quickly clogs sandpaper and fine aluminum dust is not so good for your body...
I like "wheel clear" from a spray can, it has bit of very fine metallic in it, helps to "pop" the surface.

Back