Vin identification

Ericjhershy

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I'm pretty new to the whole motorcycle thing. About two months ago I bout what i was told to be a 1979 xs650 special 2. Bought it from the original owner, had 10k miles on it, the vin checked out with the one printed on the title. today when I went to put the final touches on the carbs I looked in my Haynes manual, and found out that the xs650 is divided into 650 A, B, C etc. So after looking on the sticker next to the vin number I noticed that my motorcycle was actually built in 1978, but i couldnt find anything after the 650cc rating. After doing some research I found that the special 2 from 78 has a very different vin from mine. My vin is 2F02S0601. The website that I found vin number identification is http://www.xs650chopper.com/yamaha-xs650-model-id-table/
All I wanted to do is adjust the floats, but I'm not sure what motorcycle I have. From my research it looks like they all have the same mikuni carb, but one is 25mm and the other is 24mm.
Any help would be appreciated!

No, During production from 70-83 they made changes every two years. Some where minor, others major.
The production year runs from August 1 of one year to July 30 of the next year, This is so they can get the new years models in the showroom by Sept.
So depending on the month of your production date determines the year.
If your paper work says its a 79, go by that.
Have you read through this www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf This is our carb bible. In there you will find out how to id your carbs and then you can look on the spec chart to find what the adjustment settings are. The 78 and 79 used the same BS38 carb set. The float setting for both is 24 mm.
From 70-79 They all used a variation of the BS38 carbs. From 80 up they used BS34 carbs.
Leo

That Vin Chart is wrong, ........There was no 4F0 250101. Using this chart also states the 79SF Vin is 2F0 250101.This is also wrong....... Also this site, (Tech Menu), and thexscafe site are about the only 2 XS650 specific sites where information can be believed

Over the years I have recorded Vin No's from members from this site who have 79SII's and all their Vin no's start with 2F0 250101. On the 79 Special II, another tell is the rims on your wheels, they should be alloy........... This was the only model with 19" Front/16" Rear, 36 spoke wheels with alloy rims. and are quite sort after and rare. 80 and 81 the rims were chromed

Here is a PDF of a Vin Chart and all the models i have confirmed over the years.

Read that link Xsleo has linked to. It is the holy grail of XS650 carbs.
your Carbs should be 78/79 linked BS38's.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/identifying-76-77-bs38s-vs-78-79-bs38s.23881/

Attachments

• ID Chart PDF 27-10-2015.pdf
    817 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Show us a pic and we can probably tell you which model you have. There were no Special II models in '78, '79 was the first year they came out. They weren't long lived, only being produced for 3 years ('79, '80, and '81). The 650 line-up was reduced to just one model after that.

To add to my last post..........production month may have been in the second half of 78 but it still would be a 79. Production run for the model/year was Aug one year to July the next so a bike built in August 78 is a 79 production model as per your bike. ..........In the PDF i posted i have notes on models confirmed and they also have the Manufactured date, (M/Y), from the Vin

To add to my last post..........production month may have been in the second half of 78 but it still would be a 79. Production run for the model/year was Aug one year to July the next so a bike built in August 78 is a 79 production model as per your bike. ..........In the PDF i posted i have notes on models confirmed and they also have the Manufactured date, (M/Y), from the Vin
So I just got a 650 from a friend. The vin is 2f0-204183. It was manufactured(according to the placard) 7/79. Would it be a 79 year model or a 80 year model?

Back