Vintage Enduro Gas Tanks - Highest Capacity?

lumberjack

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I suppose I should have went to the intro section first, and said hello, but I've been lurking for a while, and finally thought it's time to make an account, now that I am going to be working on my '79 Special :) So first off, Hello from the Great White North!

So on with my question/topic:

I would love to build a brat tracker/Japanese style bobber - the slammed tracker type look. I am still undecided entirely on the look (ride height, bars, etc) BUT FOR SURE, I want to run a yamaha enduro gas tank (the 1970s ones, like the DT's, RT's, etc).

My question: Most of these tanks are about... 2 gallons, or 7 litres. The stocker on my bike (our bikes) is about 15 litres (Sorry, I am Canadian!) , or double.

Were there ever any LARGER capacity steel enduro tanks, that retain that shape, but maybe hold like... 11litres, or say... 3 gallons?

I know that the RT360 and DT400 I think, those had 9 litre tanks...

Anything a little larger, that still keeps that neat shape?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

- - - My question: Most of these tanks are about... 2 gallons, or 7 litres. The stocker on my bike (our bikes) is about 15 litres (Sorry, I am Canadian!) , or double. - - -

Hi lumberjack and welcome,
FWIW, Clymer's sez XS650 stock fuel capacity is 11 litres for a Special and 14.2 litres for a Standard so you are not as bad off for fuel as you thought you were, eh?

Hi lumberjack and welcome,
FWIW, Clymer's sez XS650 stock fuel capacity is 11 litres for a Special and 14.2 litres for a Standard so you are not as bad off for fuel as you thought you were, eh?

Well what do you know... I guess I was looking at the standard specs! (I have the Clymer's too, but it's been a few weeks since I glanced!)

So... technically..... if I get a 9 litre DT400 tank/RT360, I should be close to my original specs!

So... has anyone mounted one and was it hard? :D

Lumberjack, welcome!
What part of the GWN are you at, I am guessing Temagami area or at least somewhere north of Hwy 7.
(not that many tree cutters on the prairies)

Lumberjack, welcome!
What part of the GWN are you at, I am guessing Temagami area or at least somewhere north of Hwy 7.
(not that many tree cutters on the prairies)

Haha, Lumberjack was just the "quintessential and stereotypical" image Canucks seem to have, so I went with that. I am actually seated nicely in the nest of bureaucrats (Nation's Capital) - I don't work for the feds, but I am surrounded by them!

Back