VM34 rubber manifold sleeve

peterg

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
4B1DBF6E-116A-4BB6-9A5D-979BA73204AC.png
I’m looking for options for VM34 rubber manifold sleeves. Niche sell a product specifically for this purpose. See above. Using radiator or similar hose seems to be an option, although disputed. Any suggestions?

Don't use "black" radiator hose : it's made of EPDM rubber that doesn't resist to fuel.
Silicone hoses may give better results, or look for some marine engine hoses.

Used black radiator hose for decades with VM carbs and, yes, 10% ethanol fuel. Never a problem after years of use. Maybe European fuel or hose is different, or maybe theory and practice diverge.

I bought a pair of similar 40 mm/ 34mm ID sleeves from Allens Performance in the UK, for a SRX600 project that has dual 34 mm flatslides. In my opinion, these purpose made sleeves are way better than any hose setup. More secure, and a rubber portion between the intake stub and carb spigot to isolate from vibration and ensure a smooth inside for best flow.
Unless you want to add some intake length, I would use these for VM34 or RS/TM34:
https://www.catalyst-findit.co.uk/i...&nav=r&h=n&rpp=100&dest=prod&p=99&pid=PM05L-K
The only drawback is that the tilt the carbs up slightly, so unmodified standard side covers do not fit.

Last edited:
The specifically built sleeves have a spacer to separate the manifold from the carb by a couple millimetres. When using rad hose should there be a space or are the manifolds and carbs abutted? The carb and manifold throat outer diameters are 40mm plus the ridges. Can 1 1/2” (38 mm) rad hose be used or won’t it stretch?

I've ordered a new set of the sleeves shown in the first post. I think I read somewhere that laying down a thin smear of white lithium grease to form a seal between the manifold and sleeve and the carb and sleeve is a good idea. Does this sound right?

I have never used any kind of lubricant (or sealant) between carb spigot and intake rubber. If the sizing is correct, there should not be any need for that.

On the cylinder head flange connection, I would use Threebond or Permatex #2 or #3 (never silicone sealant!) on both sides of the paper gasket, when a gasket is used. On the straight intake rubbers I use on the XS, there is an integrated o-ring, so on those I assembled without any compound.

Back