Want to upgrade to Brembo caliper conversion

davenu

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 83 heritage special looking to upgrade the front brake the previous owner put on a brembo rotor disc but it has the stock Yamaha brake caliper/master cylinder. So I would like to put on a brembo caliper and a stainless steel braided line and bigger master cylinder if needed. Can you guys recommend where to buy this online-thanks

I bought mine from a place called www.gothamcycles.com. I believe they are in Florida, so must be close to you.

I actually bought a pair and used the right caliper on my back wheel.

You won't need a bigger M/C. In fact you will want a smaller M/C. My stock M/C was 14 mm bore, which is too much of an OFF or ON, does not modulate well. I bought a 12 mm bore Brembo M/C from www.bevelheaven.com. The smaller M/C gives a much better control feel.

The Brembo calipers are a great addition, and I enjoy the extra margin of stopping power that they give.

Attachments

• Brembo front mounting.JPG
    Brembo front mounting.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 824
You can get a kit from pandemonium cycles. It has a plate that accommodates the brembo caliper and rotor spacer to account for difference. You might need to make some additional spacers to make it work with the aftermarket rotor, or potentially another different thickness rotor spacer. The plate is mild steel so you will need to do something to it. I chromed mine.

I got the caliper off E-Bay brand new from Italy i think for a really good price. I was very happy with that score. The MC i got from BevelHeaven. Brake lines from HEL Performance in the UK.

Attachments

• mag brembo.jpg
    mag brembo.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 2,244
Did you buy just the calipers or the adapter as well? I don't see a thing for an XS650 on their site.

I made my adapter plates for both the front and rear calipers. I used 3/8" aluminum, and then polished them. Very inexpensive way to do it.

You can see more if you look in my Album on this site.

For anyone else that may use this thread in the future, be careful of the clearance differences between alloy wheels and wire wheels. I found that with wire wheels you need a spacer about 12mm thick, the back of the Brembos needs clearance ground and the caliper may have to be positioned slightly off center in regard to the rotor thickness; in order to get clearance.

Do you mean as opposed to the 2.6mm spacer as provided in the kit from pandemonium?

There apears to be conflicting and confusing posts.

35mm forks: If you are retaining the original Rotor then there is no difference relating to the position of the rotor and fork mounts for a caliper, between a Spoke wheel or Mag wheel.

Remember the same Yamaha caliper fits the Spoke and mag wheel without and modifications or difference

If you are changing the rotor then depending on the rotor profile, Spacers may/will be required, the same spacer would work on the same Bremco and aftermarket rotor set up. using either a Spoke wheel and Mag wheel,

RG's method appears to be the simplest if making the bracket yourself. This bracket should work for a 25mm forked Spoke wheel retaining the original Rotor

35mm forks: If you are retaining the original Rotor then there is no difference relating to the position of the rotor and fork mounts for a caliper, between a Spoke wheel or Mag wheel.

Remember the same Yamaha caliper fits the Spoke and mag wheel without and modifications or difference

If you are changing the rotor then depending on the rotor profile, Spacers may/will be required, the same spacer would work on the same Bremco and aftermarket rotor set up. using either a Spoke wheel and Mag wheel,

RG's method appears to be the simplest if making the bracket yourself. This bracket should work for a 25mm forked Spoke wheel retaining the original Rotor

Actually, the original poster was asking about a new/different caliper, not changing rotors.

My 83 heritage special looking to upgrade the front brake the previous owner put on a brembo rotor disc but it has the stock Yamaha brake caliper/master cylinder. So I would like to put on a brembo caliper and a stainless steel braided line and bigger master cylinder if needed. Can you guys recommend where to buy this online-thanks

Just to add to the confusion...

For anyone else that may use this thread in the future, be careful of the clearance differences between alloy wheels and wire wheels. I found that with wire wheels you need a spacer about 12mm thick, the back of the Brembos needs clearance ground and the caliper may have to be positioned slightly off center in regard to the rotor thickness; in order to get clearance.

Its more than just the Pandemonium 2.6mm spacer. There is a good older thread with lots of good info and clearances. In addition to the caliper bracket and spacers used for it, thicker hub spacers are required when you switch from the XS rotors. I didn't want somebody buying parts and then not be able to use them without more machine shop work.

"Fazer Blue Spot Caliper" thread

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197&referrerid=8772

This is Important

Remember the same Yamaha caliper fits the Spoke and mag wheel without any modifications or difference

Actually, the original poster was asking about a new/different caliper, not changing rotors.

Just to add to the confusion...

Yes , Actually did you read my post..........poor reading of other posts and irrelevant and adds to the confusion

Last edited:
As i said pandemonium do a kit that will allow you to mount the caliper. Because you are not using an XS stock rotor, the offset amount will be different to a stock rotor (probably). Therefore the kit will need some modification - i.e. a new spacer to sit behind the rotor or spacers to mover caliper in relation to the forks. Of course you could make your own mounting plate. Basically there is no off the shelf way of combining a Brembo caliper with an unknown brembo rotor on an xs. Some thought and planning will be required.

Ebay for the caliper - 65mm gold brembo

Tell us how the PO did your current set up. Perhaps some photos.

the m/c size i have for my brembo calipers is 16mm. what are the advantages/disadvantages of running a m/c this size?

For a single 4 piston Brembo caliper, a 16 mm M/C is much too powerful. There would be no modulation available; it would either be off or close to locking up the front wheel. Even a 14 mm M/C is too powerful. A 12 mm M/C works well, and some riders have used 11 mm M/C.

If you are talking about Brembo dual discs/dual calipers on the front wheel, I have no experience with that set-up, buy it would seem to be overkill braking, for street use.

Back