Washer or new spacer

section8joe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
5397335428_ac2e846938_z.jpg
There's a small gap on my back axle. Can I leave the gap and just tighten the axle down, add a washer or have a new spacer machined to replace the original gap. I'm leaning on having a new spacer machined but I just wanted your opinions.

Last edited:
why is your axle plate crooked? or is it just a weird angle?
I would just tighten up the nut.

I think the pic just makes it look crooked. I took the pic with my left hand holding the wheel and the other hand on taking the pic. I'll be pissed if the plate is crooked!

From here it looks like you need to put the axle adjusters in place. One goes on each side. The one for the left side has the holes the same size. The right one has the outside hole smaller than the inside. The small hole fits on the smaller threaded part of the axle.
This put the adjuster marks on the top so you can adjust the wheel straight in the swingarm.
On your hard tail you will have to eyeball the wheel straight.

Yep, they are after a closer look. They are hanging down. I think I would fully tighten the axle nut and check for side play on the wheel. If you get side play add a 3/4 inch washer on each side between the adjuster and hub.

What you need to do is figure out what is out of line after welding, if anything. Just cranking down on it, or making a spacer won't fix an alignment problem. You need to be working with a straight edge to align sprockets and front and rear wheel, THEN make what spacers(s) you need, or possibly work on the frame to get the alignment right.

John

Back