Weak front brake

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've installed a new SS brake line on my new to me 1977 XS650.

I bled the brakes and the lever action feels pretty good. It is solid and I can't squeeze the lever so that it touches the handlebar. I've compared it to my other XS650 which has a real great front brake action and they feel quite similar.

Anyways, I feel like my front brake isn't working as it should. when I go for a ride my stopping power is not that great (as compared to my other XS).

I have new brake pads in the caliper. Was I supposed to do something to those pads before I installed them? Roughen them up or something? Also, I've spilled brake fluid and oil onto the rotor a few times. I wiped it off with a paper towel but I'm sure there is still residue. Is there anything I can do to clean the rotor? Would carburetor spray work?

Best,
Adam

Did you disassemble and thoroughly clean the caliper? If it's not got all the gunk cleaned out from behind the seal groove, it don't work so well.

I did clean out the caliper. Might try it again because it probably got dirty when I first was bleeding the brakes with the old, very dirty brake lines.

Anyways, was I supposed to prep the pads before installation in any way? Roughen them up or something? Also, any good ways to clean the rotor because I definitely had some brake fluid on there.

Best,
Adam

You can clean the rotor with alcohol. As far as pad prep, no. The disc, I used a dual action (or random orbit) sander with some 120 grit to clean up the swept area of the disc. I also drilled ir, but not related. I have the standard 79 Special front caliper with SS 3/32 line and an 11mm master (Brembo) from a mid 90s Moto Guzzi and my front brake easily overwhelms the fork and frame. Fantastic feel and all the braking power it'll stand for now. Maybe after I get some worthy suspension under it they won't be as great to me but for now 2 finger braking works great.

What new brake pads are you using? I went with the Ferodo Platinums from 650Central because they were highly recommended and honestly, I don't care for them. The original stock pads stopped better. I will be re-installing them.

sounds like your pads are contaminated with brake fluid. They still work, it just somehow don't feel rite? I droped my bike off the lift, and it landed rite on the brake lever first, forcing fluid past the piston, on to the pads. I rebuilt the caliper afterward, and re-bled, but just somehow feels different. Just get the stock replacements.

Hey guys,

All good advice. Thanks.

By the way, the pads are from mikesxs.

So here is what it sounds like I should do.

Rotor: Lightly sand with high grit sandpaper.
Pads: Nothing can be done.

I use brake cleaner, comes in a spray can. It will clean the crud off the rotor and pads. If the pads are to soaked in fluid they won't come completely clean but should improve.
Leo

Back