Well, it wasn’t my exhaust dragging.

SolidGhost

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just bought this bike and heard a scrape on a left turn. I thought it was the regrettable slash cuts the original owner put on. Parked my bike, then I had an (unrelated) injury and a full week of rain to contend with. When I got out and took a closer look at my bike (didn’t have to get too close, mind you) I saw how low my center stand was. I took a good look at the bike before I got her but the original owner had it on the center stand, took it off, and off I went. Imagine my surprise. That’s not a lot of clearance.

Attachments

• IMG_6807.jpeg
    IMG_6807.jpeg
    573.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
"Chances are...." tang is bent OR the muff is to big for it to clear. Won't know if it's the spring unless you remove the muff to see how high it'll retract. I've seen that tang bent wonky.....might still have that wonky tanged center stand in a box of junk. Makes this one wonder if your bike took a hit down there and mashed the original muff and tweaked that tang in.....replaced the muffs as a pair and said "good enough".
Conjecture.

Slide a pipe over the tang and bend it till it clears the muff, then see if it works and hits a bumper. I'd bend that tang whether it's been bent or not.

I know this won’t win me any favor around here but I had to get out and ride. It’s the first nice day in a while and the first one I’ve had a rideable bike in more than five years. Besides I heard something about upgrading the bushings on these anyway. 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_6816.jpeg
    IMG_6816.jpeg
    664.8 KB · Views: 31
Back