XS1 running away while On center stand…

BlackRabbit18

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I’m very early in the restoration of a XS1 and yesterday I got my first start after cleaning/rebuilding carbs, cam adjustment, timing, and valves.

Now I’m new to XSs but they aren’t supposed to run away like that while on the center stand right? Lol! Everything looks original, I had the air filters off to adjust things. But what would cause this? Thanks in advance.

So I’m very early in the restoration of a XS1 and yesterday I got my first start after cleaning/rebuilding carbs, cam adjustment, timing, and valves.

Now I’m new to XSs but they aren’t supposed to run away like that while on the center stand right? Lol! Everything looks original, I had the air filters off to adjust things. But what would cause this? Thanks in advance.

Try slackening the throttle cables to the point of not working and work your way back from there.

So you've discovered the XS tango. :laugh2:
Yes, that's normal for 'em to walk back like that. Yours looks a bit excessive.... normal none the less.
My shop floor slopes down a degree or two, and my XS will back itself up and out of my shop if I keep revving it.
I have a piece of plywood I park it on when I'm working on the engine and expect to run it a fair bit... for tuning.
Does a pretty good job holding it in place.

1669441376612.png

Yup, totally normal. I worked at a Yamaha shop when I was in High School (late 70's/early 80's). I used to put bikes together outta the crate, service them and go ride them several miles on shakedown rides.

Every time I got to service a brand new XS650 Special, I'd fire it up with choke pulled and bike on the center stand...let it warm up while I ran and grabbed my helmet and gloves.

Every single time, without fail when I'd turn around get back to the bike it would have walked halfway across the shop floor in the back...always got a big chuckle out of that. :laugh2:

Yup, totally normal. I worked at a Yamaha shop when I was in High School (late 70's/early 80's). I used to put bikes together outta the crate, service them and go ride them several miles on shakedown rides.

Every time I got to service a brand new XS650 Special, I'd fire it up with choke pulled and bike on the center stand...let it warm up while I ran and grabbed my helmet and gloves.

Every single time, without fail when I'd turn around get back to the bike it would have walked halfway across the shop floor in the back...always got a big chuckle out of that. :laugh2:
That’s hilarious! I just finished building a cb550 and this is night and day. Nearly shit myself lmao

Smooth ground at a slight angle topped with a high idle, you get the shimmy…

If you stick a piece of card board under the stand it may help with a little traction.

Back