What a weekend this has been!

azman857

'80 XS 650SG Rider
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Sat: Wife and I are going a trip Thursday.The car needed an oil change. Off to the Pep boys for oil filters and oil and then off to the Auto Hobby shop on base to do the wife's car. Home again to get in my truck to change it's oil next. Back to the Auto Hobby Shop to do the truck's oil. WHEW! It's too late to do any more oil changes(theres a second truck that could use a oil change but it's not pressing). So I start taking apart the SG to see whats wrong with the alternator. Airfilters(stock) and start looking at wires. What's this? the ground lug for the regulater mount is broken? Wellll that could cause the readings I was getting last weekend! It didn't fully seperate untill I messed with the bolt! Lets see if the reg is OK...Temp rigged. Wait a sec...It's midnight! It can wait untill morning.

Sunday: Get to a time I can say to Wife"I'm off to the bikeport!" in the early afternoon. Crank the SG and voltage climbs to 14.49 at just under 3k and thenthe voltage rapidly drops off. WD??? It did it a few times. Run continuity checks on stators. Diode checks on rectifiers, all good. No shorts. Time for a new reg. Off to Autozone. Checked on forum(650 Garage) which reg to get. VR295,alt 154 or whatever. Got a VR733 (I think) was the replacement. Went home and got it temp rigged. Cranked up the SG....14.25 and no falloff voltage! Success!! Rechecked wires for condition. Got the new reg on the mounting plate with the repaired ground wire. Re installed mounting plate where the stock TCI was under the battery. Route ground wire to where battery ground is. Install reg connections & double checking proper connections. Install the inner fender with it's 3 bolts. Zip tie wires for neater appearance and vibration precaution. Installed the airfilters. It's aways a bear intalling the top bolt where the front battery box mounting plate is. Getting it lined up is a bear. Making sure everything is installed and tightened up. All that is left is to install the seat. While I was doing voltage checks, I had placed a bag of wrenches on the back luggage rack. Bike was running 3-4 k RPMs and vibrating as usual, the bag was moving foreward until it spills the wrenches out and startling me!
It's a bit windy but I think I need a ride after all this. I've earned it!

On those airboxes... I usually loosen all 4 bolts when trying to get the front 2 back in if it's stubbrn I stuff a Awl down the bolt hole to help line it up and then put the bolt in.... about half way down, then do the other side.... the aie box plastic ear back by the electric goodies has a tendancy to get hung up on the wires and that will throw the angle off at the bolt hole up top/front
so I make sure they are under the wires before I go to the top bolts I save those bolts till the last tighten them then tighten the top bolts
( all 4) .... then I put the filters back and button it up although the right side has a tentancy to be hard to get the air box cover top on.... a wide screwdriver under the edge usually raises it enough to get the lip of the airbox cover on but you have to be gentle or the plastic can snap ! .......
and grease the O-rings on the center tube so they slide in easy .
that's how I do it
if anyone cares !:laughing:
after a busy week like that it makes a guy really appreaciate a good ride ! LOL
Bob..........

Thanks for the tip, Bob. It's too windy for a ride and maybe rain next 3 days!

Good howto Bob sounds like what I do, both sides loosely bolted before you tighten any bolts. Sil glyde on air horns and that connector tube. Keep meaning to get some 6mm body bolts with a pointy threaded tip to make those easier. Kinda like this but haven't found a JUST right style yet.
818534.jpg

You certainly stuffed a lot of work into one weekend. Congratulations on your charging system repair!

lol thanks Gary ! I alwayse forget to tighten the clamps on the carbs though ! dunno why... I think I check and re check every bolt on the air boxes 3 or 4 times though ....(strange!)
I believe those are body bolts that hold fenders on cars Gary....sure look the same !
I use a 3/8" breaker bar 8" long round one that slides from one end to the other on a long extension with a 10mm 6 sided socket on the end of the extension..... to get my wrench a long way above the paint on the tank.... just twirl in the bolts like a "T" driver!
That way you can "push down" as your turning to get the bolts going into the plastic. <grin>
( remember the LONG bolts go in the front if you take those brackets off ! ).
Bob.........

After all this wrenching, I've washed my hands with pumise soap, dish soap, handsoap and used the nail brush on the fingers a few times and I've still have grime in the grooves!! Oh well, this too will pass....LOL

Next time your going into Hell..... and know you'll be covered in grease and grime from finger tip to elbow grab some hand lotion and give your hands and for arms a good rub down...... then go for it.... at cleanup time the filth will come off much MUCH easier
I like the Orange hand cleaner with pummis in it....(forget what it's called) it does a good job usually but it's inevitable that you run out of the good stuff.... when I do it's powered soap from the laundry room that works real good or dish soap.... but having to wash the paws 2 or 3 times is normal ! its when your skin takes on the black stain that you can't get off you have to worry !
for really dirty hands that are near impossable to get clean its the last resort........ live with it..... using Gas or kerosean is just to darn dangerous....
I read a story where a guy cleaned his hands real good with gasoline and then rinced them real good under water with his garden hose sprayer...... then lit a cigerett and his hands ignited.... ( the gas will penitrate the skin) he doused them quickly with the hose
and didn't recieve any burns to speak of..... so think twice before using gas ! also Some hand cleaners have a great deal of alchol
in them and if the hands are still wet they can ignite as well.... so alwayse wash with soap and water after the hand cleaners
if your playing with fire !
f.w.i.w. LOL
Bob..........

Back