What is a must that a new xs650 owner should know. Ive heard phasing and brass bushings in swinging arm. But i know there are others

ShoeboXxx

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
IMG_20231218_192828.jpg

Attachments

• 20231220_073542.jpg
    20231220_073542.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20231218_192820.jpg
    IMG_20231218_192820.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 31
Well Hi, Shoebox, welcome to the forum. That's a very open question so I'll fall back on saying one thing an XS650 owner should know is that this is the best place for knowledge on all things XS650. Looks like those brass bushings might be academic in your bike's case? Why not pull up a chair and tell us a bit more about yourself and your new XS project. Cheers, Raymond

1. It will never be "finished".

2. It will always need tinkering.

3. Not all "upgrades" are. I'm thinking specifically of

a. Permanent Magnet Alternators
b. Battery eliminators
c. Pod Filters
d. Aftermarket carbs

4. If the cam chain slider in the front is original, chances are the surface has delaminated.

5. Adjust the valves.

6. Check the sump screen for damage.

There's more, all documented on this site somewhere.

You have a lot resources now a days. Use your computer. If you don't have one, get one. If the one you have is old and slow, get a powerful refurbished PC or laptop.
Download Schematics and watch videos.
Back in the day, to get parts we had to go stand inline at a counter for some guy who would look in his catalogs for the part you needed. He wasn't particularly friendly, and the part was expensive and the shop had to order it for you if they didn't have it. Now you can do that yourself.
Shop around. You can find the same part at EBAY as you can at Mikesxs, usually at a huge discount.

Shop around. You can find the same part at EBAY as you can at Mikesxs, usually at a huge discount.
This great community is so helpful. Do what the gurus tell you. Watch the video three times (if you want) or watch three videos one time each (if you want). Look at the parts list and the pictures. Looking, watching and listening is more important than reading sometimes.
Good luck and have fun.

For a project like yours you need a fat wallet.
Once done however you have the joy of endless fiddling to occupy your spare time. Now and then you can actually ride it……:rock:

Back