What parts besides camchain and tensioner?

BigBoreSwede

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello there.

This winter my plan is to change the camchain and tensioner. I´ll figure it out how to do it I belive with some help from the forum and my manual but there is one thing where I need some good advise.

What parts do I need except the chain and tensioner of course?? I´m thinking about washers and that kind of stuff and is there anyting else I should do while the head is off?? I mean, you don´t want to lift the head every now and then, right!

Thanks/BigBoreSwede

Replace the 4 outside rubber/metal washers under the large acorn nuts with copper or brass ones. The factory rubber ones cause those 4 nuts to constantly come loose. You may need to change rings or get it bored out but that will have to wait until you get it apart and can check that stuff. In other words, don't buy rings, pistons, etc. just yet.

I recommend getting the complete engine gasket set. If you plan on keeping the bike, you'll use pretty much everything in there eventually and it's cheaper as a complete kit. It will also give you the valve guide seals and all the o-rings you need.

Oh, and hand lap the valves if they're leaking (which some usually are).

Ok, thanks!

I also think a complete set of seals/gaskets is a good idea.

But Punkskalar.....base gasket?? Is that something that needs to be change if you´re just planning to lift the head?? Is the cylinder mounted with the same screws/bolts as the head? If so, I can understand why.

Thanks once again/BigBoreSwede

Yes, there are 8 long studs that reach from the cases up through everything. Some times when you are trying to get the head loose from the cylinders the jugs lift get lifted too. If they do the base gasket might leak. It might not too.

Alright, that make sense.

When it comes to change the chain and tensioner, is there any meaning to tip the engine forward by loosing all the mounts except the rear ones?? Is that even possible?

I,m thinking you might get some more space so the work gets a little bit smoother.....hmmm.

/BigBoreSwede

Back