What the Heck Is It ?

Picked up this old ratcheting tool in an old barn antiques store.
Can't quite think of what it was exactly designed for, can you ?
Has no maker's mark.

zzzztool.jpg

I found this curious piece when going through my late grandfather’s stuff years ago, I kept it because I didn’t know what it was. It’s brass or bronze, it has flats but no threads, it has small clutch band inside. To me it looks like a large rocker nut from a fairly large engine. It was found among many WWII mementos, he was an Army LT in the Pacific islands (mainly the Philippians) but he rode a ship there and back and had more than few pieces of Navy kit among his stuff. After the war he was an electrician, so it could from that as well. I’ve been at a loss for many years.
8F2E99A8-55B5-4284-A47D-2C9F2DE7EFB0.jpeg
3C5DF592-F350-4231-8E1F-125AAA4B6284.jpeg
D8FCD202-6C17-4B35-B7C1-9F5FC79E42B7.jpeg
F005B67E-80A2-4DBF-B294-DF00A26BF6CF.jpeg

I thought I'd revive WingedWheel's Clubhouse thread idea here in the Lounge.
Hope he doesn't mind. Creds to him.

So, today I was cleaning out some drawers and transfering the stuff to a new tool chest in the winter workroom.

Came across this simple item which brought back a lot of memories. Hadn't seen one in maybe 20 or more years.

Do you know what it is?

View attachment 111052

View attachment 111053
It's a wooden ruler!!!

It's half of a pipe union. Most likely originally threaded internally, was probably adapted to a different use, mebby slip a pipe in, held in place with a pin.
might have been used as a quick way to change tools or heads on a handle.
View attachment 219846
I think you are right about it being part of a pipe union. I don't think it was ever threaded for a pipe. My guess is since it's brass a copper pipe slipped in and was then sweat soldered to it.

It's half of a pipe union. Most likely originally threaded internally, was probably adapted to a different use, mebby slip a pipe in, held in place with a pin.
might have been used as a quick way to change tools or heads on a handle.
View attachment 219846
I think you’re right, but it was definitely never threaded. It was either swaged or sweated on. I’m not 100% sure that floating ring isn’t a solder ring.

I went out on the '83 today and dropped into a garage sale in Preble where I discovered 5 Harleys for sale ( ! ).
I came close to buying a '92 Dyna FXDC, but I had instead fallen immediately in love with a modded '88 Electra Glide.

Harley.jpg

But it had sold just an hour before I got there :(

So, I left the sale with only this interesting object .
I know what it is is, but can you ID it?

I'm guessing that Gary will be the first XS650 owner with the answer.

Objet.D'art.jpg

It is part of an ordinary (vintage) machine that is integral to most people's lives.

Last edited:
early washing machine (clothes) agitator/sprayer?

Back