What width rim strip?

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
What width rim strip fits on a stock 2.75 by 16 inch rim. It looks like an 1" would do it but the ones i've seen on ebay are 1.5 inches.

If you can't decide, you can just use duct tape. That's what BMW used to use back in the '70s.

Wider than normal has been used in the past, but you don't want it to slip up into the bead seat.
Sometimes tricky trying to get tube in there without disturbing it. Inflate tube with schrader valve out several times to ensure tube is fully seated, no warps/twists. Now comes the hard part. While prying the tire bead on, it can get that rimstrip moving. I usually squeeze the tire, going all the way around, peeking under there to see if the rimstrip moved, then nudge it back, centered in place, then a couple more short blasts of air to get tube fully seated, then a good blast to seat the bead. Then reinstall valve and air up.

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/35-2013.html
hope this helps. I don't think it would matter, as long as you go wider, and not narrower. You just want to be sure the rubber covers the spoke ends. Maybe they have to be the rite width, maybe they could slide over and cause balance issues? idk.

I didn't even know they carried them, thanks. Guess i'll have to put together another $150 free shipping order. Lol. Crooks.

Because the next guy who takes your wheels apart will hunt you down and make you eat the duct tape he had to painstakingly remove from your rims 20 years from now.

Adhesives break down. Woven fabric tape wears through. Nice thick rubber rim strips are designed for the purpose. Doesn't hurt to double up on them either.

And have a good look at your tubes - inflate them and inspect before installing.

I recently had a flat in my front. Luckily, it went flat sitting parked after an 8 hour day of hard riding at 80-100MPH through twisty roads on the way to the Red River Gorge in KY. Got there, parked, and 2 hours later my front tire was flat.

Took it off, pulled the tube and found a manufacturing blemish in the tube that finally opened up a tiny bit. Learned then to check new tubes before just shoving them in and hoping for the best.

Back