Whats the first thing you did for your build?

Ccanady

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So Im about to embark on my journey of building a bobber. Just curious on what the first thing you guys started on once you started your build.

Once I get her ripped apart in a million pieces I'm gonna start with the frame first. Then rebuilding the engine.

I started with my carbs, mainly because I have never done any mechanical work before in my life! That set me at ease as it was pretty simple and straight forward. Then there was no stopping me!! Nearly at the end now, hoping to be able to run her in spring!

I sat on it and went BRRRRRRRUUUUMMMMM BRUUUUUUUUUMMMMMM a few times. After that, it sort of just fell into place.

Decided it was time to do the rebuild when there was not a lot of adjustment left in the cam chain. Started gathering parts.

So Im about to embark on my journey of building a bobber. Just curious on what the first thing you guys started on once you started your build.

Once I get her ripped apart in a million pieces I'm gonna start with the frame first. Then rebuilding the engine.

The first thing i did after stripping it down to the frame was fire up the sawzall and get the hardtail fit & welded. Need to start on the engine as soon as the garage warms up above freezing :laugh:

unbolted all the bits that i didnt figure i would want. then kept them in a box. which was good, because i ended up using a few.

i would suggest you not disassemble it to a pile of bits. thats how many project bikes/ hot rods/ home exercise projects die. since my start, i've never been more than a few bolts away from cranking the engine. ( i mean theoretically, it wouldn't really start at first). anyway, i wanted it to stay mostly complete start to finish so that i would never get bummed out by a big pile of parts.

the end result is that at most any time i could roll it around the workshop, get it outside if we needed room, etc.

just my $.02

Get a really clear objective of what you want to achieve. Like 100% 'this' is what i want to do. Nothing worse than getting half way through and wishing that hard tail lane splitter you are working on should have been a cafe racer.

Thanks for the info guys..just kinda gathering a different perspective. I believe i've got everything I need to start!

unbolted all the bits that i didnt figure i would want. then kept them in a box. which was good, because i ended up using a few.

i would suggest you not disassemble it to a pile of bits. thats how many project bikes/ hot rods/ home exercise projects die. since my start, i've never been more than a few bolts away from cranking the engine. ( i mean theoretically, it wouldn't really start at first). anyway, i wanted it to stay mostly complete start to finish so that i would never get bummed out by a big pile of parts.

the end result is that at most any time i could roll it around the workshop, get it outside if we needed room, etc.

just my $.02
mine was already unbolted, AND holed piston!!

First thing I had to do was replace all the electrical. Then I worked on the carbs. After that I did some simple customization like bars, seat, wheels/tires, lowering. Road it for a bit and then redid the hardtail on the frame. Check out my build for more info.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14258
(I've got to fix some missing photos at the beginning of the thread)

First thing I had to do was replace all the electrical. Then I worked on the carbs. After that I did some simple customization like bars, seat, wheels/tires, lowering. Road it for a bit and then redid the hardtail on the frame. Check out my build for more info.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14258
(I've got to fix some missing photos at the beginning of the thread)

That's one sweet ride you got there brother!

I'm trying to get mine into roller form. Then I'll work out the details. I'm going Ironhead front end with the 19 inch drum laced to a 21 inch HD profile wheel. I've got an already welded TC HT frame with a 16 inch XS drum spoke wheel. Once I get all that worked out and buy tires I'll have my line work done and then I can start with the engine and carbs. Then tank, seat and rear fender which I'm going to make each out of aluminum save for maybe the seat out of steel.. Then fab mounts and wire plans and blow it apart for poweder and maybe paint unless my fab work looks amazing...
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32563

Figured out the look I wanted to go for, what style tank, seat, fender etc. Welded up the hardtail and went from there figuring out where and how to mount everything. Once you figure out the look you want, its easier to find out where everything is going to fit, and get inspiration from other builds.

Back