Whats your weather right now?

. . . The warming of the world's oceans and atmosphere (aka "global warming") certainly seems to be the cause of all these changes - but that does not mean that everyone will be warmer going forward. In fact, "global warming" is a very unfortunate term and it should never have been coined.

The real name of this phenomenon should be "climate change" - and that is what we are going through.
Could not have put it better meself, Pete.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/whats-your-weather-right-now.20388/post-823560

Post Script - highest recorded windspeed in Scotland last night 107 mph.

Three deaths on the roads have been blamed on Isha.

Now, unbelievably, Storm Jocelyn - the next named storm - is already reaching Britain.

I’m happy to hear you made it through, relatively unscathed. Hate to hear about all the other damage.

Post Script - highest recorded windspeed in Scotland last night 107 mph.

Three deaths on the roads have been blamed on Isha.

Now, unbelievably, Storm Jocelyn - the next named storm - is already reaching Britain.

Hunker down and stay safe. Nothing else to b done except to make sure you have supplies, gas cooker and a Genny.

We've got cold, damp, and windy weather - much colder than normal down here in Canada's "Banana Belt" while our countrymen in frigid Ottawa are somewhat warmer than us.

Without wishing to start an argument, this is exactly what the climate change models have predicted:
  • if you are used to warm winters - you will move toward colder ones
  • if you are accustomed to cold winters - you will shift to less cold ones
  • if your weather is normally placid - you stand a good chance of experiencing damaging storms (wind, rain, hail, etc.)
  • if you usually get a lot of bad storms, you will either get fewer or a lot more of them
  • if your area is usually dry - get ready for some flooding
  • if you live in a damp place - things will become more arid.
The warming of the world's oceans and atmosphere (aka "global warming") certainly seems to be the cause of all these changes - but that does not mean that everyone will be warmer going forward. In fact, "global warming" is a very unfortunate and inaccurate term and it should never have been coined.

The real name of this phenomenon should be "climate change" - and that is what we are going through.

EDIT: that is also the reason why weather forecasts seem so much less accurate than in the past. These forecasts are based on computer models that use previous weather data from prior years to predict what the upcoming weather should be. The problem is that weather patterns have changed - rapidly and a lot - so a good deal of that prior-year data is now invalid and so the computer models used to create weather forecasts are no longer valid.

Anyhow - I'm just a simple country doctor - so what do I know?

Pete

Agreed a bad phrase. Should have been extream climate change.......

Mind you some say and believe climate change happens 4 times a year and they call it seasons.......can't help ignorence.

That was Storm Isha. Tonight, Storm Jocelyn.

Not expected to be so severe in this area - the Amber warnings are for the West of Scotland and the Hebrides.

All train services throughout Scotland will cease from 7 this evening and none will run tomorrow morning.

Here we go again . . .

Last edited:
Easten Washington has experienced climate change again. From single degree F back to above freezing for the foreseeable future.
Question, at what time period in the earths history was there not significant climate change for one reason or another?

Easten Washington has experienced climate change again. From single degree F back to above freezing for the foreseeable future.
Question, at what time period in the earths history was there not significant climate change for one reason or another?
There is a difference between weather and climate. And unfortunately, there is a further difference between climate and climate change.

Climate change is a very slow process, when caused by natural processes it typically takes many centuries years for the climate to change significantly. But at times in the deep past, over the 4,500,000,000 million years this planet has existed, it has been much warmer or much colder than the present.

We are living in, or some would say, at the end of the holocene - a geological period with a very stable climate over the last 11,700 years. Since the last Ice Age in fact.

There is a difference between weather and climate. And unfortunately, there is a further difference between climate and climate change.
Very true.
A thought here.
Although our cell phones are powered by just a very tiny battery which we recharge constantly,
How much power does the app functions actually consume? The Servers ? Globally ?
HUGE amounts of power ! We do this

Blowing a hoolie wind in South Wales, 60mph winds.
Mrs C is flying out of Bristol to Newcastle at 8.00am tomorrow morning; I have everything crossed the wind will drop so the flight takes off :thumbsup:
A couple of bachelor days drinking’ , eating’ and loud music will do me good. :whistle:

Last edited:
Climate change is a very slow process, when caused by natural processes it typically takes many centuries years for the climate to change significantly. But at times in the deep past, over the 4,500,000,000 million years this planet has existed, it has been much warmer or much colder than the present.
There are a couple of things about the climate situation that I believe are true. One is that the Earth is technically in an ice age due the fact that the poles are frozen. The planet is warming. Over the past 100+ years, the planet has been warming faster than it had been previously. CO2 holds heat. As of May 2022, the Earth's atmosphere is 0.04% CO2. Below 0.02%, plants die, so delicate balance. Am I in the ballpark?

Very true.
A thought here.
Although our cell phones are powered by just a very tiny battery which we recharge constantly,
How much power does the app functions actually consume? The Servers ? Globally ?
HUGE amounts of power ! We do this
@XSE 2Timer, I didn't mean to duck answering your question when I referred you to Mike Berners-Lees' book How Bad are Bananas. He has spent many years studying the carbon footprint of just about everything and that includes mobile phones.

However, the answer is not just one simple number. Sending a text message on a mobile has a tiny carbon footprint. But collectively we send billions of texts every day. Making a short call is not very high either. However, he points out the embedded footprint of manufacturing the phone is more significant. The mining of rare materials, often from remote parts of the World, transport, energy used in manufacture, and so forth. Then, there's the carbon footprint of the network - the servers, as you said - again, materials, transport, energy used. Altogether, he puts mobile phone use including all the infrastructure used as contributing about 1% to annual releases of greenhouse gases.

Then you have the Crypto currency miners. I often wonder just how much mowing grass contributes. Roadsides, municipal gardens and just plain everyday lawns.

Got another Cyclone bearing down to the south of me. Expecting gale force wind and rain. I'm north of Cardwell, just below the purple ring

Screenshot 2024-01-25 012917.jpg

Then you have the Crypto currency miners. I often wonder just how much mowing grass contributes. Roadsides, municipal gardens and just plain everyday lawns.

Got another Cyclone bearing down to the south of me. Expecting gale force wind and rain. I'm north of Cardwell, just below the purple ring

View attachment 260358
Lawns are a bad idea. I agree. Polluters.

Wow tether ball that brings back memoirs. The grade school I went to was a 1/2 block away. In the school yard it had tether ball, a swing set with a slide and monkey bars. Must have been 10 feet tall or so it seemed. My first memoirs of it was my Mom taking me there to play. She brought wax paper for me to sit on going down the slide. After a few trips down it with the wax paper, man could you get some speed up!
At the other end of the school yard was this thing that was 8-10 feet tall with a round something on top that rotated with 8 chains hanging from it with handles on them. What you were supposed to do was hang on to the handles and everyone run in a circle . Then when up to speed jump in the air and fly for a few seconds. Now there was pea gravel under this thing and the swing set so you weren't playing on hard ground. Well kids being kids we found out if a small kid crossed his chain with a big kid behind him the big kid could throw him out farther. All well and good until the little kids could not hang on started landing past the pea gravel. Several broken arms and legs. That thing was removed. The pea gravel was removed from the swing set and replaced with sand. That lasted for many years but eventually it was all removed, Not sure if it was a few more broken bones or the expense of maintaining the sand. The tether ball was removed because of broken noses.
Looking back what does stick in my mind we had a lot of fun with that stuff. Yes there were some broken bones. Back then it was accepted that kids broke things from time to time. I do not ever remember the School being sued for anything. If you get hurt during PE, on the play ground or a school sport well you got hurt. The parents took care of it.
We have become a nation of wimps.

Rain...

The thesis respecting climate and CO2 reminds me of a basic principle of knowing, of actual science. Illustrating this, consider On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies (1905, Einstein) That paper was rejected by the editor. It was not passed on to expert analysis. Editor made himself a fool. The point being that when a thesis is produced, we properly address it by actually taking a point by point critical review, is this equation valid here? Is this claim actually based on measurements... and so forth. Are there alternative that account also for phenomen, or account better, more accurately, etc. Is the thing repeatable? To put it blunt, the carbon claims associated with climate seem to come with a heavy amount of propaganda, and call for privation previously though absurd and foolish, like not using fertilizer and shutting down farms... I call probably mostly bullchit... And see the solar and orbital influence and the magnetic reversal dynamics as much more significant. Of course if that account is true and becomes accepted despite the propaganda, then the privations called for would be seen as outrageous theft, eh? And naturally the proper response to climate, to weather, would be in the matter of civil engineering and sound construction standards. Planning. That's to say honest craft work, not privation. Old enough and experienced enough that a vast confidence racket seems to be the agenda.

Blowing a hoolie wind in South Wales, 60mph winds.
Mrs C is flying out of Bristol to Newcastle at 8.00am tomorrow morning; I have everything crossed the wind will drop so the flight takes off :thumbsup:
A couple of bachelor days drinking’ , eating’ and loud music will do me good. :whistle:
Well the wind calmed down and the flight took off at 8.00am this morning.
Sod the weather, I'm off to the pub for a few early doors pints :cheers:; then a nice🥩steak, followed by some happy vinyl spinning with a glass 🍷 of something nice!!!! I got three days & nights of bliss. Mind you I will need to clean up the house before Saturday!

Well the wind calmed down and the flight took off at 8.00am this morning.
Sod the weather, I'm off to the pub for a few early doors pints :cheers:; then a nice🥩steak, followed by some happy vinyl spinning with a glass 🍷 of something nice!!!! I got three days & nights of bliss. Mind you I will need to clean up the house before Saturday!
Recalling Steinbeck and the frogs...Tortilla Flat... Party with Mac and the boys... Good story.

Back