Where can I get this choke cable/knob?

section8joe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a heritage specail and the choke knob used to be on the handlebars. I'm looking for a cheap choke cable/knob for my carbs. Something like the one below. Any ideas where I can get one? Anyone have one laying around?View attachment 7405

Scrounging it from another carb set is probably your only option. I doubt Yamaha sells that stuff anymore.

Is this for a set of BS34s? I may have one.

Get a pull cable from a lawn mower shop? That conversion is popular so finding the rod, ball and spring "just laying around" will be a stoke of luck. The parts do come up on e-bay but usually run $15-20 for just the rod.

gggGary had a great tip in using the ball and spring from a grease zert. Having several of the original worthless zerts from pivot bolts I intend to check that out.

Or you may call/stop in at older established shops and ask if they have the parts on the shelf. Sometimes you get that stroke of luck and the owner will cut you some slack on the listed price cause nobody has asked for them in 30 years.

5twins you never know. I picked up 5 throttle shafts seals last week for $10.

Last edited:
You can mod the one you have, drill a couple of detents and put in the balls and springs. cobble a knob on it. I'll post up a side by side rod comparison.

Aiden Logan 004 (376x216).jpg

choke 003 (800x187).jpg

choke 001 (800x202).jpg
The Heritage carbs have the hole for the spring and ball drilled.
The detents are 180 degrees, opposite the existing detents on the shaft.
Ball and springs can be had for free from a zirk fitting, just lightly drill the end to release the ball and spring. remove the fitting from the end of your rod and sub some sort of knob, epoxy it on. The knob will be on the opposite side from where it normally is, but who cares? You just need to be able to move your hand from the throttle to choke and back uh quickly. (laugh)

Last edited:
Back