Which new carbs would you fit

VM34 video....watch out for the diabolical music :shrug:

For my build I went with a single vm36. It's been a bit of a learning experience, but I'm slowly getting it dialed in and I really like the single carb look even if it isn't the best performing.

yeah looks nice and simple but i'd want to see a picture of where the carb ends up if it were me. I'n not want it sucking my pants into the intake :yikes:

When you look at it, you think it should be easy enough to knock one up yourself with a Mig :wink2:

no I missed that thanks. Looks like it is a bit obtrusive but I can't see how it could be improved upon unless a cast manifold runner was made bringing the carb nearer the cylinder.

I wonder what effect the difference in intake lengths makes to fuel delivery between the 2x cylinders

How do you match cylinder when the length is different going to each cylinder.. it worked well for the old triumphs because the 2 to 1 manifolds were equal on both sides.

Here are a few, you might be seeing a few more of these soon in a more public forum.

Attachments

• IMG_20150710_123729.jpg
    IMG_20150710_123729.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20150716_200221.jpg
    IMG_20150716_200221.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20150716_192102.jpg
    IMG_20150716_192102.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 156
This is a great advert for Mikuni there must be other carbs that fit what about Klihen or Webber or Dellortto or any other .... sorry if a spelt them wrong...:thumbsup:

Yes, there are many others that can be used. If I was rich, I would fit Dellorto pumpers, wonderful old school carbs that pack a punch. But, you must understand carbs and be able to tune them before you even consider aftermarket high performance ones. They're much harder to tune than the stock units. I don't think you're there yet. Don't take offense. I'm just saying new high performance aftermarket carbs will probably disappoint you. They can and will work well when properly tuned but can you do that? I'm pretty well versed in the 650 stock carbs and I don't even mess with the aftermarket high performance ones. Not that I couldn't tune a set, I most likely could. I just don't see the need to. Stockers seem to work just fine for me. I've even laid in several spare sets for back-ups. Even after rebuilding them and replacing various needed parts, they were still much cheaper than a new aftermarket set (less than $100). Like I said, if I was rich .....

Last edited by a moderator:
The ongoing Ninja carb thread offers a good "low cost" alternative to stock carbs that are knackered, with lots of documentation of what does "and doesn't" work for tuning/setup.

+1, Gary! Haven't used them myself, but those EX500 carbs show a whole generation of advancement past the older BS series, and this board has developed a deep data pool on them.

OK, funky, you want more options from other makers? Here ya go.

1. Keihin CR series: old style round slide carburetor, tunable for 2 stroke or 4 stroke applications. High price as compared to Mikuni VM, no XS650-specific data.
2. Keihin FCR series: most advanced 4-stroke specific flat slide performance carb made, extremely high end: slides run on rollers, throttle shafts turn on needle bearings, beautiful design. Extremely high price, no XS650-specific data.
3. Dellorto pumpers, as mentioned above. Old round slide design for the price of more advanced Mikuni flat slide 4-stroke pumpers. No XS650-specific data.

There are other options. I use a pair of Mikuni TM36/68 4-stroke flat slide pumpers, and for guys who have the skill and can find them, setting up a pair of Mikuni RS carbs taken from a bank of 4 is also an option. There are threads on this with good baselines, just run a search.

Another one for the list is the Amal carb :thumbsup:

A British carb with a long racing history used on classic singles and twins.
Its a concentric design which means the fuel bowl is the same dimension as the carb body which allows it to be fitted in very tight spaces .

Still being produced in Wiltshire UK so spares, intakes, velocity stacks, jets etc always available as is technical backup :thumbsup:
http://amalcarb.co.uk/mk-i-concentric-series/900-series/base-line-specifications.html

Attachments

• AMAL_MK2_Carburetor.jpg
    AMAL_MK2_Carburetor.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 142
Oh, yeah--MMM raves about what Amals did on his race bike. I don't know how they're priced in the UK, but on this side of the pond you need pretty deep pockets to hang a pair. They're dedicated 4-stroke carbs, so tuning shouldn't be too much of a challenge for those who know what they're doing.

Hi Chaps thats some awsome choices thanks 5Twins your right about not having the knowledge to tune them no offence taken one needs to know ones limitaions I have been looking at other carbs but I cant swap my Bs34s for new carbs because i want the bike running the carbs it came with mybe one day i will but at the moment your right about there good enough for what i need,
I also like the idea of having a second set on the shelf once i have jetted the ones im doing and they are spot on i will get some and rebuilt them as a spare set and jet them up to the same spec as my originals...
All the best funky

I have a friend (Mike Anderson) who has race most Triumph for years and after going to Vm's from Amals said he would never go back. MIke raced with the best back in the late 60 and 70.. at 73 year still one of the fastest brakeless racier and still racing I will take his word. "Lose the AMALS"

Yes indeed, Gary, lost the Amals in 1970 when I ditched my 68 Bonnie and never looked back, it's been all German and Japanese iron since. Scratch that comment about probable ease of tuning; I'd forgotten what a bear it was to find two Amal jets of the same nominal size that also flowed the same. Maybe they've improved, but I wouldn't put my money on it. IMO Mikuni offers the best bang for the buck and the deepest information resources for our application across the board, from round slide VM's to flat slide pumpers.

I have a friend (Mike Anderson) who has race most Triumph for years and after going to Vm's from Amals said he would never go back. MIke raced with the best back in the late 60 and 70.. at 73 year still one of the fastest brakeless racier and still racing I will take his word. "Lose the AMALS"

perhaps your friend was using obsolete or old vintage Amals ?
The Company is still producing the carbs for road and race today and have an impressive technical support service.

If Amals weren't an excellent carb why would racing car teams have used their products in the past?

Before you dismiss something on the back of a single negative comment from a single user at least take a look through their current website at the huge range of carbs for every application and the second -to -none accesories and parts diagrams etc I think you'll be impressed.

Here in the UK they are the obvious choice on both choice, price, technical support, supply, simplicity of operation and ease of tuning .They would appear to be the better choice for a Brit
http://amalcarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburettor/spares/id/6796/

Last edited:
Back