Will these mikunis work?

BriggsStratton

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got these new carbs with my disassembled 650 project. They appear to fit into the boots well. What model are they, and will they work well on a 650 twin? I believe they were purchased from mikesxs. Under the choke lever, one is stamped "34" and under that "275", and the other carb is stamped "34b" and "168".

Also, if they will work, what jet sizes would be a good starting point? I'll have pod filters, mufflers, and points.

Thanks, Chris

Attachments

• IMG_20140624_200249802.jpg
    IMG_20140624_200249802.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20140624_200316601_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140624_200316601_HDR.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20140624_200328977_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140624_200328977_HDR.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 196
(First post!)

Hi,

I have a flat spot around 4500 RPM that i can't seem to get rid of, and I'm thinking of upgrading to Mikuni carbs. A quick Ebay-search show me these, but the compatibility thingy tells me that they won't fit my 1974 TX650. Is that really the case, or will they bolt on? How much tuning and fiddling is needed to make them work properly, and do i need to also upgrade exhaust system etc. to get more power?

Best,

Kris

If you buy from that vendor you'll regret it. Read the VM carb guide, I'm not going to write it again a piece at a time.

my mikuni vm34 have 180 main's (can't remember what pilots) uni filter and open 1.5 exhaust hope it helps but do read and then reread the tuning manual.evey bike is not the same.

if you buy from that vendor,double check with photos.theres 1 vendor (I think its him) that sells 2 left hand carbs as a set.which does work except the right hand side choke is on the inside of motor which makes it a pain in the ???.if him hes delated previous extra photos showing this.1 of my bikes has this problem from p.o. they have been a mongrel to tune as well

I got set from them befor I know about this site they are two left carbs but I never had problem tuning them choke is no big deal you can just push with one finger and then just push it down from the out side to turn off hell you don't need the choke too much any way just on cold start or you can buy a pull knob choke for that carb

The choke isn't the worst of it. Those air filters won't stop anything finer than pea gravel, the boots are flimsy, and you have about a 20% chance of getting workable baseline jetting. The bottom line is simple. If you get a set from a bargain vendor you'll spend more money getting it right than you would have spent for a quality set from 650 Central.

"Those air filters won't stop anything finer than pea gravel"

I refuse to believe that anything that passes thru a proper foam pod will hurt an engine. I only use foam pods, not the K&N type.

Believe what you want, it's your motor; but you won't see light through the element of a "proper foam pod." If you want a proper foam pod, get UNI.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I´m gonna read up some more on carbs in general, and then maybe go for a set from a serious dealer.

A lot of us on here have been using the carbs of a Kawasaki EX500 Ninja. I think they call it something else in Europe, But they are easy to tune and run very well.
With just a starting set up as recommended in the EX500 carb thread My bike has never run as well.
Much smoother throttle response. Lots of power, very good mileage.
Leo

I think they´re called GPZ500. I tried on once, and liked it a lot - except for the look. I´ve looked for the EX500 carb thread, but can´t seem to find it. Could you please point me in the right direction?

EDIT: Found it! Thanks for the tip!

Back