Wiring a SP DT toggle for headlight switch

goatrider

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've seen the original thread regarding this but I can't seem to get mine to work. I bypassed the og handlebar switch harness and my lights work, but once I try putting the toggle in there I get nothing. I wired black (hot) to center post on switch, then yellow and green to either side. I get nothing. PLEASE someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.:banghead:

It's a 1980 XS1100G.

my lights work, but once I try putting the toggle in there I get nothing.

just put the switch in the ground to the light. Then you don't have to mess with high and low beams. Easy Japanesey.

^Putting the switch in the bulb ground wire will still let you do that. A spst switch will work too, just on and off position.

Like this.

Attachments

• light.JPG
    light.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 233
Black is ground. This is all in the headlight bucket. Like I said I'm really new to this. Also, yellow is high beam, green turns into white after harness and is low.

Ah, ok. Do you want one direction on the switch to be hi and the to be lo? For some reason I thought you were trying to add a switch to turn it off and on,

Okay cool. I know my 12 volts are supposed to come from my relay, but what wire should I be looking for coming out of there? The only ones in the guts of my og switch were yellow, green, yellow/blue, and green/blue. I put the y and y/b together and the g and g/b together.

It's an xs1100, so I don't know what you have. You could run the 12 volts from the battery and it would work. Or from the switched side of the relay you're talking about.

Back