Wiring nightmare.

Sonnylynnvick75

XS650 Young Gun
Reaction score
So, I got my cafe finished but realized I wanted another set of blinkers on it. I installed them, blah blah bike ran fine then about 5 miles down the road I blow a main fuse. I swap the blown fuse for my blinker fuse and use hand signals to get home. I put a fuse in the signal slot on the fuse block and now, no signals whatsoever. I just here a click under the seat when I flip the switch. I took it apart and am now wondering if I could have possibly blown the relay that is under the seat and gets power from the starter switch wiring. I'm so confused.

Are you using a stock wiring harness? If so power flows to the flasher relay on a brown wire, it flows from the relay on a brown/white to the turn switch.
The stock flasher relay also has black wire to ground. I have seen the relay short out and burn up the ground wire. On the years with a self canceler on the turns the third wire is green/yellow.
I would pull the tank and look at the wiring around the flasher. If it looks ok then pull the flasher and see if the fuse blows. If it blows there is a short in the brown wire some where.
Make up a jumper wire that will plug into the flasher socket. Plug it into the brown and brown/white wires in the socket. Does the fuse blow?
This means the short is either in the flasher to ground or after the flasher. Are you using the stock 3 prong flasher or a two prong replacement flasher?
Next I would pull the left switch housing off the bars and look inside. The wires on the turn switch often come loose. If the brown/white wire has come loose it can ground out.
The turns have no connection with the starter relay.
Leo

Back