WTF pictures

Not too sure what you mean? I don't believe in Heaven, but if I ever do make it to some such place for eternal afterlife, well I bloody hope there's a bar.
Raymond same here, if I get there before you do and first drink is on me! And if it turns out there is a heaven then I'm guessing all drinks are "On the House"!

1697765639015.png

They look like what I call wavy washers. Kind of a light duty locking(ish) washer. Very common on older Porsches.
Ok thx. Wonder if they were really doing any good? The ID was way larger than the OD of the bolt. Maybe they are supposed to work that way? I’ll try to Google more intel on this.

A quick search yielded no results. The way they were installed, they were fully compressed so I can’t see what goid thrh would do. They are very light gauge metal.

Last edited:
Ok thx. Wonder if they were really doing any good? The ID was way larger than the OD of the bolt. Maybe they are supposed to work that way? I’ll try to Google more intel on this.

A quick search yielded no results. The way they were installed, they were fully compressed so I can’t see what goid thrh would do. They are very light gauge metal.
Well, the Germans use the crap out of them, and to be honest, I've never seen a lot of loose hardware on their cars, so they must at least do something.

Does the bolt still tighten without them? They could have been used as shims or spacers, instead of getting a proper bolt or spacer that fits.
I’ll have to check that out. May have been used as a shim of sorts.
Bolts tightened right up. I’ll probably red Loctite the bolts in.

Last edited:
Does the part they are sandwiched between move? Was wondering if they were to act as an anti rattle spring.
Hard to tell without seeing the complete assembly.

The wave washers I am most familiar with were used on the old VW's. Those were a single layer, probably still have some in my metric hardware assortment.

Look like these:
wavey washer.jpg

Also found these at Graingers:
wavey spring washer.JPG

This one looks like yours.

Here's the link to Graingers listing:
https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Disc-Spring-Poly-Wave-Compression-1UAR8

1697808341214.png

Magneto magazine

·

On this day in 1964, the late Craig Breedlove became the first to pass the 500mph threshold with an unprecedented 526.277mph run at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.
This was, however, a record attempt that nearly cost the intrepid American his life, when disaster struck on the return run and both main and reserve parachutes on his Spirit of America land-speed record car failed to open.
The car’s disc brakes were only functional at below 180mph, yet Breedlove smashed the pedal at around 400mph as his car careened towards the rough salt and a high bank surrounding a brine lake at the end of the course.
Completely out of control, the only thing slowing Breedlove down was rolling resistance, as he helplessly headed towards the telegraph poles and the lake’s banking. The rear left wheel clipped a telegraph pole before the Spirit of America was launched over the high bank and pitched nose-first into the lake.
Miraculously, Breedlove narrowly escaped as salty water began flooding into the cramped cockpit. Far from being traumatised by his brush with death, he laughed and proclaimed: “For my next trick, I will set myself on fire.”
Craig Breedlove sadly passed away in April of this year. You can find his obituary at https://buff.ly/3cLSTea, link in bio.

Raymond same here, if I get there before you do and first drink is on me! And if it turns out there is a heaven then I'm guessing all drinks are "On the House"!
Remember Steve Allen's TV show meeting of minds ? I am old enough to remember that little man Truman and his damn war, so, near enough to check out time...and I like to imagine a city of collegial saloons...and in my favorite Churchill serves at table to the spirits of Mao and Ho and Jefferson, von Clausewitz, and Liddell Hart - as they watch us on the Big Screen and discuss the lunacy in deep philosophical and historical context...Khrushchev might sing along with Stalin in the corner... Bertolt Brecht might direct the stage... Call it Abe's Place... ;) Motorcycles park inside.... Big Rock Candy Mountain is just down the highway...

This 100% off topic, but brief. The cheapo float charger HF type makes major radio interference at least most of the time at about 1000 khz (AM broadcast) and this spreads all through house wiring.

(nearly drove me nuts, oh...wait... ;) )

View attachment 253647

Magneto magazine

·

On this day in 1964, the late Craig Breedlove became the first to pass the 500mph threshold with an unprecedented 526.277mph run at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.
This was, however, a record attempt that nearly cost the intrepid American his life, when disaster struck on the return run and both main and reserve parachutes on his Spirit of America land-speed record car failed to open.
The car’s disc brakes were only functional at below 180mph, yet Breedlove smashed the pedal at around 400mph as his car careened towards the rough salt and a high bank surrounding a brine lake at the end of the course.
Completely out of control, the only thing slowing Breedlove down was rolling resistance, as he helplessly headed towards the telegraph poles and the lake’s banking. The rear left wheel clipped a telegraph pole before the Spirit of America was launched over the high bank and pitched nose-first into the lake.
Miraculously, Breedlove narrowly escaped as salty water began flooding into the cramped cockpit. Far from being traumatised by his brush with death, he laughed and proclaimed: “For my next trick, I will set myself on fire.”
Craig Breedlove sadly passed away in April of this year. You can find his obituary at https://buff.ly/3cLSTea, link in bio.

A little more on his life and speed record attempts, if anyone is interested. 🙂

https://www.xs650.com/threads/craig-breedlove-early-jet-powered-land-speed-records.54875/

IMG_6304.jpegIMG_6303.jpegIMG_6305.jpeg

I remember watching Bonneville on Wide World of Sports when I was a kid and telling everybody I was going to do that someday. So 12 years ago I put the Harley on my trailer and headed west. The first thing I did when I got there was check out the spot where Breedlove went into the water. I did Run what you brung and had the time of my life. If you ever get the chance to go DO IT!

nothing but salt.jpg
onthesalt.jpg

Back