xs2 oil drain bolt

nairb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally have my hands on an XS2 650. Complete and more or less running. It needs a bit of effort to get it back on the road.
New engine oil and filters will be a start..... The size of the oil drain bolt was a surprise. And I need to get a spanner/socket to get the think off.

Just to check before I rush out and get one .... it looks like a 28mm socket.

Can anybody confirm this.

Thanks

Nairb

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Never had a Yamaha before. Used to honda and suzuki's. So no 27mm sockets/spanners.

So a 27mm it is then.

Thanks
Nairb

:thumbsup: Spanner? :laugh:
Does anything over there use Whitworth anymore?

I think there are some old steam engines..... and its the standard Meccano thread.

Good old Joseph Whitworth.

I still have some wrenches. Never heard of the Meccano threads before. Those taps must be hard to find.

That 27mm should also fit your rear axle nut so it's good to have. It will get used often. The oil filters in these are metal screens so don't need replacing, just cleaning. If the large lower one is torn, you can repair it.

So 27 is the number of the beast. I now have a bright new 27mm socket and whipped the oil bolt off in a jiffy. Then rummaged around to find a spanner for the side oil filter another odd size but I had a socket for that.
Thanks for the advice on the side oil filter. Its the first time I had seen these and wondered if they could be re-used. So its a clean up with paraffin and re-use.

I would put an image of the bike on here but there are non saved on the web

Nairb

That side filter bolt may seem odd at 1st because your metric wrenches don't seem to fit, but it's really not. It's the standard spark plug size - 13/16" - and a spark plug socket can be used.

By the time I have sorted this bike out I will be up to speed with its needs. I have almost finished a rebuild of a honda cb550 k3....no 27mm or 19mm in sight
As for spark plug sizes..... I never checked the size. Now I know its a 13/16". Being old I still remember the old feet and inches once used here. But I do like the new fangled metric sizes

Back