Xs650 build thread...

This project has been neglected for quite some time, but i finally have the motor going after changing the oil and a few leaky gasket/seals. Adjusted the cam chain and valves. Also installed a pamco, reg/rec, and new battery. It seems to run really well, but ill have to get a tach on her to make sure timing is correct.

A few more more things to finish on the frame and the motor will be ready to go back in.

Attachments

• 2018-02-25 14.55.33.jpg
    2018-02-25 14.55.33.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 255
Got the motor back in the frame and started to mock the bike up. When I drained the carbs the gas was really dirty after running the motor out of the frame. I guess Ill have to tear those down and investigate. On a positive note its starting to look like a bike again.

Attachments

• 2018-03-04 13.34.14.jpg
    2018-03-04 13.34.14.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 283
Got the motor back in the frame and started to mock the bike up. When I drained the carbs the gas was really dirty after running the motor out of the frame. I guess Ill have to tear those down and investigate. On a positive note its starting to look like a bike again.
What's the old saying? "Rome wasn't built in a day." Keep up the good work. Nothing easy is worth having. Anyone can write a check. Built not bought.

I have seen fork covers for the xs650 (like the ones made by vintage customs) and i have two old mufflers thats might work for a set...if i can get the guts out of them. Anyone have any idea or a link on how to fab the bracket for the lower tree??

Had some free time today...got some wiring done and built the frame to my seat.

Attachments

• 2018-03-19 17.05.39.jpg
    2018-03-19 17.05.39.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 263
Finally got her road worthy enough to take a test ride....nothing fell apart or fell off ha ;). Still have a few components to get in order before it is done(i.e. the seat, font brake,etc). Seems to run really strong through all rpms. Definitely more peppy with the weight reduction. I was a bit concerned about the air filters because of all the bad reviews they get, but it seems to be very responsive on the throttle...no "flat spot" that i can tell. Ill get some foams filters to compare.The pamco ignition is working really good from what i can tell, but i did time it with out a tach. I just guessed by sound. Thats something i need to double check as soon as i get a tach cable. Handles as well as could be expected for the shock set up that is on it, but definitely not anything to write home about. All electrical checks out and seems to be in proper order. I will ride it like this for a season and .finish body work/paint next winter. Pretty excited to get this thing back on the road.

Attachments

• 2018-05-17 17.51.11.jpg
    2018-05-17 17.51.11.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 248
I didn't encounter any flat spots when I ran that style filter. The problem was premature break-up or stumbling in the upper midrange under heavy throttle applications. Break-up in that area is usually a sign that your main jet is too big but mine wasn't. It was actually a size smaller than I really needed but those filters wouldn't allow me to run that larger size. I switched to the UNI pods and could then run that larger main without the break-up and stumbling. This proved to me that the filters were at fault, not the jet size.

To test for this, you'll need to work the carbs hard. It may not show if you run gently. At around 3K in 2nd or 3rd gear, roll the throttle wide open and accelerate up to near redline. Watch for stumbling or break-up in the 4 to 5K range. As I mentioned, too large a main will cause this, but these pleated pods will make it happen sooner, prematurely as I said, with a jet size that isn't too large.

- - - To test for this, you'll need to work the carbs hard. It may not show if you run gently. At around 3K in 2nd or 3rd gear, roll the throttle wide open and accelerate up to near redline. Watch for stumbling or break-up in the 4 to 5K range. As I mentioned, too large a main will cause this, but these pleated pods will make it happen sooner, prematurely as I said, with a jet size that isn't too large.

Hi 5twins,
that does explain why I've never noticed that my Heritage Special performed any different whether it had pleated pods, Unipods or it's stock air filter system fitted. It's because my bike is always run gently as I ride like a timid old man. Which is OK by me, I AM a timid old man.

Yes, these CV carbs are quite forgiving and will mask over minor jetting "glitches" unless pushed hard. Most of us, even me, don't normally ride this hard, but you have to for jet testing purposes.

What rpm range did the stumbling occur?? I ride fairly aggressive, but not always in high rpms. On acceleration I have not noticed it, but I wasnt "searching out" the stumble per say. I will have to do a bit more testing, and see how it feels. My biggest concern with stumbling issues would be passing on the highway, so ill get a set of foam filters and see what happens.

Back