XS650 Direct Safe?

BlueNorth

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I placed an order with XS650 Direct today. I contacted them by e-mail before and after the purchase but there has been no response.

This is not typical of XS650 Direct as I've placed two previous orders with them that were completed the same day. I received e-mail responses generally within a few hours. Today - nothing. I can't call them and they have no public address so this puts the buyer in a very difficult position if this order goes sideways.

Have any of you had any problems recently with XS650 Direct as I'm considering contacting my credit card company to have the payment rescinded?

Wayne

I have never had a problem with the orders I have placed Wayne. Sometimes don't get the confirmation email until middle of the night, and always receive the order within 2 days.

But, I'm only about 70 clicks away from them.

Have sent inquiry emails in the past that were never answered though.

That's reassuring. Thank you for your insight. I expect it's a busy time of year for them.

It sucks not being able to call them.

Yes it does. Although with the quality of some of their parts, they would need a full time switchboard operator....lol.

Maybe they're short staffed - holidays.

I don't think you have any concerns.

WE are their clients, they're not going to mess that up.

I know MaxPete has gone to them directly to pick up an order but he's only a couple hours away. Little more of a trip for you.

Keep us posted.

Indeed - I've done fine with them but it is a busy place.

Let me know if you have further concerns.

Pete

No issues here too... although it would seem weird that they haven't confirmed the order, as most of the time that is instantaneous through their automated order system... almost seems like perhaps your order wasn't placed properly...

I've used these email addy's to correspond with them:

xs650direct@hotmail.com
orders@xs650direct.com

Hope you didn't buy anything "rubber" based :smoke:

I have ordered from them 6 or 7 times, never had a problem. I'd check your credit card to see if the charge went through or not. If yes, keep on the contact us link. No idea if it's a one man show, maybe he's on a short vacation?

Based on my 2-3 visits to their facility, I'd guess that there are about 4-5 people working at XSDirect and it was clear that they're a busy group.

I did receive an automated order confirmation from them but I haven't received the shipping confirmation.

I was trying to reach them so that I could add an item to the order - the drain plug fell out of one of the carburetors on my '79 SF. I was also trying to determine if the throttle butterfly shaft seals they sell are for a set of carburetors or for one carburetor. I ended up ordering two because they never answered.

I've sent them three e-mail now without a response. Now it looks like I've got to go searching elsewhere for a drain plug because I'm not going to place another order with them just for a plug. Hopefully it's something the local motorcycle shops stock.

This is interesting. I just looked at my PayPal receipt and noticed it has the phone number for XS650 Direct on it. I'm pasting the address information from the PayPal receipt so the rest of you can have it as well:

XS650 Direct
xs650direct@hotmail.com
519-508-0505

Wayne

the drain plug fell out of one of the carburetors on my '79 SF. I was also trying to determine if the throttle butterfly shaft seals they sell are for a set of carburetors or for one carburetor. I ended up ordering two because they never answered.

I've sent them three e-mail now without a response. Now it looks like I've got to go searching elsewhere for a drain plug because I'm not going to place another order with them just for a plug. Hopefully it's something the local motorcycle shops stock.

You might not have much luck with carb parts at a bike shop. Probably be better off looking through the bins of carbs at a bike wreckers.
Maybe try TJ's Cycle.

retiredgentleman a fellow Calgary resident, and many others here have reported bad luck with those throttle shaft seals from Mikes / XS650Direct.

Those seals are available OEM. You can order through a Yamaha dealer. Here is the part number.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/outboard/Y-256-14997-00-00.html

RobinC has brought forward a really important point here folks:
  • A LOT of the key parts on our 40+ year old bikes are actually still current parts that are used on many models.
This is particularly true of things like: bearings, seals, gaskets, nuts, washers & bolts etc. A lot of the "wear & tear" engine and carburetor parts are simply standard stock items and they are still currently in use on presently-produced models. They are NOT unique to XS650's and so getting a supply of them is not a big deal.

I just checked the link Robin gave above, and those throttle shaft seals are used on bikes ranging from the earliest 1970 XS-1 (i.e. the very first model "XS650" - which is now approaching 50 years old) right through to a recent 2013 Yamaha V-Star 250 carburetor.

So - if you go into your local-yokel Uncle Fred's Yamaha shop and ask for a "throttle shaft seal for a 1976 Yamaha XS650C" - you will almost certainly be told "Sorry, obsolete, not available" - because all the guy is going to hear is "1976" - and he knows that they don't stock any parts for a 40 year old model bike. He!!, that shop likely wasn't even in business 40 years ago.

However, if you ask for a part number: Y-256-14997-00-00 - they will likely have a dozen of them sitting in a box on the shelf - because it is a currently used part on a recently produced model.

The key piece of information is the Yamaha OEM part number - if you have that - you stand an excellent chance of scoring the correct OEM part quite inexpensively by simply putting that part number into your Google search window (with no other words or descriptors). Try it for yourself - simply cut and paste 256-14997-00-00 - into your Google search window and you'll get a whack-load of listings of that very part at prices ranging from $3.05 (from www.boats.net) to around $2.95 (from PartsFish). BTW - I have bought parts from both of these sellers and they are just fine to deal with.

www.boats.net has all of the parts blow-up views on their website - including the Yamaha part numbers and a listing of which other bike models used that exact part. Even some unique engine/transmission parts can be found using just the parts number. Also, even if www.boats.net lists the part as "Obsolete - discontinued" - try searching for it on Google anyway - and chances are you'll find it somewhere else.

I got a desirable single piece long clutch push-rod for my 1976 for the princely sum of $7.00 USD - and it was still wrapped in its Yamaha OEM parts baggie.

TIP for Fellow Canadians: be sure to specify shipping by US Postal Service or USPS (do NOT use a courier like UPS or FEDEX etc.). The USPS shipment will swap over to Canada Post at the border and shipments under $1-300 entering Canada via the postal system are seldom dinged by Canada Customs. I think that the same guideline applies for shipments from the UK - be sure to have the shipper use the Royal Mail. Have them marked "Vintage Motorcycle Parts" - these packages nearly always come through with no duty or other crappola fees added on.

RobinC has brought forward a really important point here folks:
  • A LOT of the key parts on our 40+ year old bikes are actually still current parts that are used on many models.
This is particularly true of things like: bearings, seals, gaskets, nuts, washers & bolts etc. A lot of the "wear & tear" engine and carburetor parts are simply standard stock items and they are still currently in use on presently-produced models. They are NOT unique to XS650's and so getting a supply of them is not a big deal.

I just checked the link Robin gave above, and those throttle shaft seals are used on bikes ranging from the earliest 1970 XS-1 (i.e. the very first model "XS650" - which is now approaching 50 years old) right through to a recent 2013 Yamaha V-Star 250 carburetor.

So - if you go into your local-yokel Uncle Fred's Yamaha shop and ask for a "throttle shaft seal for a 1976 Yamaha XS650C" - you will almost certainly be told "Sorry, obsolete, not available" - because all the guy is going to hear is "1976" - and he knows that they don't stock any parts for a 40 year old model bike. He!!, that shop likely wasn't even in business 40 years ago.

However, if you ask for a part number: Y-256-14997-00-00 - they will likely have a dozen of them sitting in a box on the shelf - because it is a currently used part on a recently produced model.

The key piece of information is the Yamaha OEM part number - if you have that - you stand an excellent chance of scoring the correct OEM part quite inexpensively by simply putting that part number into your Google search window (with no other words or descriptors). Try it for yourself - simply cut and paste 256-14997-00-00 - into your Google search window and you'll get a whack-load of listings of that very part at prices ranging from $3.05 (from www.boats.net) to around $2.95 (from PartsFish). BTW - I have bought parts from both of these sellers and they are just fine to deal with.

www.boats.net has all of the parts blow-up views on their website - including the Yamaha part numbers and a listing of which other bike models used that exact part. Even some unique engine/transmission parts can be found using just the parts number. Also, even if www.boats.net lists the part as "Obsolete - discontinued" - try searching for it on Google anyway - and chances are you'll find it somewhere else.

I got a desirable single piece long clutch push-rod for my 1976 for the princely sum of $7.00 USD - and it was still wrapped in its Yamaha OEM parts baggie.

TIP for Fellow Canadians: be sure to specify shipping by US Postal Service or USPS (do NOT use a courier like UPS or FEDEX etc.). The USPS shipment will swap over to Canada Post at the border and shipments under $1-300 entering Canada via the postal system are seldom dinged by Canada Customs. I think that the same guideline applies for shipments from the UK - be sure to have the shipper use the Royal Mail. Have them marked "Vintage Motorcycle Parts" - these packages nearly always come through with no duty or other crappola fees added on.

Great information. Thank you RobinC and MaxPete

Still no response from XS650 Direct. No response to the three e-mail and my order has not shipped.

I'm considering contacting my credit card company to have the payment rescinded?
XS650 Direct has been around for years so isn't a scam. I'd suggest using PayPal for any online purchases. Not to sound like a commercial. Otherwise I'd be concerned about rouge employees. Either at the store itself or the card processing website if they use one. I never use a card in person even, if the employee is going to take it out of my sight.

Another satisified customer. Although I will say if I email them just for info, it may take a day or so for a return.
And always, until you see it does not work, one always catches more flies with sugar than vinegar.

I've also purchased a couple times from XS650Direct without any issues… However, I made the mistake of assuming their products are the same as those available from MikesXS (due to the same product photos being used). In this case, the handlebars that I ordered didn't have the same specs as the ones from Mikes.

Incidentally, I noticed that XS650Direct has the same physical address as Parts N More (http://www.partsnmore.com). They carry parts for all four Japanese manufacturers, but nothing at all for XS650s. I suspect both companies are run by the same people.

Back