desmodromic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just finished this on my 81'.

Attachments

• 2012-12-08 14.53.58.jpg
    2012-12-08 14.53.58.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 882
@jd750ace- I am working on a fork brace. Im still stoked because they fit like they belong on that bike. no trimming had to be done to the caliper or anything

nice. On my rear rotor I planing using a brembo caliper off a Desmosedici RR and maybe a floating rotor

sweet. Im a bit concerned how mine is going to work bc its a radial caliper. Im going to make brake mount out of aluminum or something. I going to fish my frame first then work on the brake

sweet. Im a bit concerned how mine is going to work bc its a radial caliper. Im going to make brake mount out of aluminum or something. I going to fish my frame first then work on the brake

Mounting a radial caliper could be a little more challenging. I used 3/8" aluminum for both my front and rear adapter plates.

Rear Brembo brake thread? Okay, I'm in...

2012-03-31_14-01-06_459.jpg

This shot is missing the brake line, but otherwise everything else is there. If you can find a stock-application caliper/hanger combo that works for you, it does simplify things a bit. These are all Aprilia parts.

Rear Brembo brake thread? Okay, I'm in...

2012-03-31_14-01-06_459.jpg

This shot is missing the brake line, but otherwise everything else is there. If you can find a stock-application caliper/hanger combo that works for you, it does simplify things a bit. These are all Aprilia parts.

Looks real good! Was it difficult to mount the Aprilla parts? I don't see a brake caliper stay rod or is the caliper fixed to the swing arm?

Looks real good! Was it difficult to mount the Aprilla parts? I don't see a brake caliper stay rod or is the caliper fixed to the swing arm?

The caliper bracket is located via a fixed pin on the swingarm and a slot on the bracket (allowing chain adjustment):

2012-03-01_15-37-49_114.jpg

2012-09-22_17-21-23_707.jpg

Not having a brake stay was part of why I went this way. I also like the look of the smaller rotor. The hanger needed to be bushed to fit the smaller XS axle, the pin welded onto the swingarm, axle spacers made, and the rotor adapted to the hub. There's probably some rotor out there that would bolt-up without resorting to an adapter; I just never found it!
I'm fairly sure something like this would work on an otherwise stock rear (no monoshock, standard wheel). It would likely be less work to make a hanger that puts the caliper in the correct position to fit an arbitrary rotor, than it was to machine the adapter that puts the rotor in the correct location to suit the caliper.

The caliper bracket is located via a fixed pin on the swingarm and a slot on the bracket (allowing chain adjustment):

2012-03-01_15-37-49_114.jpg

2012-09-22_17-21-23_707.jpg

Not having a brake stay was part of why I went this way. I also like the look of the smaller rotor. The hanger needed to be bushed to fit the smaller XS axle, the pin welded onto the swingarm, axle spacers made, and the rotor adapted to the hub. There's probably some rotor out there that would bolt-up without resorting to an adapter; I just never found it!
I'm fairly sure something like this would work on an otherwise stock rear (no monoshock, standard wheel). It would likely be less work to make a hanger that puts the caliper in the correct position to fit an arbitrary rotor, than it was to machine the adapter that puts the rotor in the correct location to suit the caliper.

That's really innovative and well done. I suspect you have access to a machine shop/milling machine.

That's really innovative and well done. I suspect you have access to a machine shop/milling machine.

Thanks! The rotor adapter is the product of a water-jet, lathe, and milling machine, but everything else is either right out of the Omar's kit, or stock Brembo/Aprilia. The bushing for the hanger started out as the right-side spacer from the Omar's kit.

In retrospect, it would be easier/cheaper to make a caliper hanger from flat plate to fit the caliper onto whatever rear rotor will bolt onto the hub (plenty of 6x80BCD rotors out there). I just got stuck on using the small Aprilia rotor.

Thanks! The rotor adapter is the product of a water-jet, lathe, and milling machine, but everything else is either right out of the Omar's kit, or stock Brembo/Aprilia. The bushing for the hanger started out as the right-side spacer from the Omar's kit.

In retrospect, it would be easier/cheaper to make a caliper hanger from flat plate to fit the caliper onto whatever rear rotor will bolt onto the hub (plenty of 6x80BCD rotors out there). I just got stuck on using the small Aprilia rotor.

Yes, its important to achieve the look that you're after, even if it is somewhat expensive.

I focus more on function than on form. Besides I'm very frugal (OK cheap). I get maximum bang for my buck, by using my stock rotors and stock master cylinders, along with the Brembo calipers.

I focus more on function than on form. Besides I'm very frugal (OK cheap). I get maximum bang for my buck, by using my stock rotors and stock master cylinders, along with the Brembo calipers.

:laugh: This is why I voted for you in XSOTM! Yours is an updated, modern, and gently modified Special that somehow resists looking particularly modern or modified.

Back