yet another issue... rough running.

dstroy12

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey guys!

You all have helped me a ton. But again I have a problem... had an electrical issue which turned out to be a battery issue. Now. She fires up fine! First couple rides were great. Only like 30 minutes but ripped! Now I just ran her. 30 minutes everything is ok. Then ill slow down and stop at a light. Then she runs rough. Idle lowers. Give it a crack of throttle and everything is fine. Take off and ride. Next light. Same thing.

I've replaced about everypart in the carbs, synced and all good. Checked the enrichment circuit - fine. Checked grounds - perfect. Fuses and connections - all good.

I just don't get it. Over heating? Its almost like one it gets warm it runs worse. I live in chicago. Its cold enough. Lol

Thanks!

P.s. I don't know how to add this.
1983 heritage special - hard tailed, xs pods, ngk iridium plugs, biltwell seat. Lc fab p-nut tank. Ultimate coil just can't find a place to install it!

What you're describing is consistent with fuel level that's too high (float level too low). Here's a test you can use. Get going at a pretty good clip in 2nd, slip the tranny into neutral, let rpm's settle, then brake aggressively to a stop. If the engine stalls or rpm's drop sharply, raise the float level 1/2 mm. (.020") and see if that improves things.

No stall but a little hanging in the idle....

I never did adjust the float height... should I consider it? I have a 145 main and a 45 pilot. Xs pods and chopped stock exhuast

The floats are one of the most important measurements. They what regulate fuel flow to the carbs.
It has to be +/- 1mm, so you can see it's precise measurement. Too much fuel and they'll flood, too little and they will starve the engine.

Could be poor charging. The TCI is very voltage sensitive.
What are the battery voltages at idle and 2500 rpms? Idle around 12.5 to 13 volts, 2500-14.5?
Same cold as after a 30 minute ride. I have a rotor that checks out ok at room temp, ohms go up to around 9 ohms after about a half hour of running. Check it both cold and after a good long run.
Leo

Back