Your advice..

lopejd01

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I had this local guy build me a battery box. it took him almost 2 months to finish it and I'll never return to the place. the problem is, when I got home I found it looks like its going to be too big. I scooted the box up as far as I can get it to the carbs and the bottom end of the box is still about 1 and 1/4 inches from the tire. what I'm wondering is, how far will the tire rise up when I hit a bump or a pot hole and load the shocks? the place where the tire and box almost meet is at about 3/4 up the inside of the tire at the second tab where you attach the inner splash guard/fender.

Am I'm going to be ok? or will I hit a pot hole and tear off my tire?:(

Are you still using the splash guard? If so, then tire would hit the guard before it would hit the box. If you're not using the splash guard, you could put the bike on the center stand, remove the shocks, carefully lift the rear tire till it touches the box, measure eye to eye to where the shock would compress, compare to eye to eye measure of shock with you sitting on the bike, subtract the difference to see how much play you have.

I'll get a picture tomorrow. dont think I could use the splash guard even if I wanted too, would shorten the little clearance I have. about how much do the stock shocks usually compress?

additionally, is there an easy way to compress the shocks to change the height of them? Mine are on one of the lower settings. I could probably get a little more space if I moved it to the highest position. I've tried compressing them before with some high strength zip ties but I guess I'm not strong enough to tighten them enough to compress them.

There should be a hole at the bottom of your shocks where you can put a small rod or sturdy phillips head screwdriver in, so you can turn the adjuster.

As far as travel goes, I found an article from Cycle Guide, (at this link: http://www.classic-japanese-bikes.com/Yamaha-XS-650.html), that talks about the 1974 TX750, and mentions 2.8 inches of travel. In my Clymers it mentions 3.15 for '78 and newer.

Back