Your other bikes

Just looked at your picture of you in the corner on the FZ1. Looks like your foot/feet are going to drag before the peg. Try moving your foot back so your toes are on the pegs while cornering. Nice riding gear you got. I like the bike. Keep it safe.

Yeah, that was taken back in 07. There were lots of other sport bike riders, including the photographer, critiquing my riding style that Summer. I learned pretty quickly to get my feet up on the pegs, just don't own any photos of the corrected method.

The most important thing we learned was ATGATT ...All the gear, all the time! Bones will heal, skin is hard (and very painful) to replace. Hard lesson to learn for a lot of riders.

Thanks, cra-z1

-R

Nice to here that. We had taken an advanced rider course on a closed track this summer using my girlfriends 650 Ninja were we were learning a little more. Unfortunately we were out for a ride on Oct 22, me on the Ninja and she was on her Victory. We were just out for a nice fall ride. As we approached a curve all of a sudden two bikes (Honda ST1300) came around from the opposite direction very fast. One lost control and slid across the road at 60-70 MPH and hit me. Broke my left femur, ankle and broke several foot bones as it crushed my foot when it sheared off the peg from the bike. Im starting to think if I would have been wearing better boots my foot may have come out better. I will be out of work for another 2-4 months because of the foot. You sound like your about my age. I have been riding for 42 years. Hard to think I was taken out by another bike. Ride safe

Nice to here that. We had taken an advanced rider course on a closed track this summer using my girlfriends 650 Ninja were we were learning a little more. Unfortunately we were out for a ride on Oct 22, me on the Ninja and she was on her Victory. We were just out for a nice fall ride. As we approached a curve all of a sudden two bikes (Honda ST1300) came around from the opposite direction very fast. One lost control and slid across the road at 60-70 MPH and hit me. Broke my left femur, ankle and broke several foot bones as it crushed my foot when it sheared off the peg from the bike. Im starting to think if I would have been wearing better boots my foot may have come out better. I will be out of work for another 2-4 months because of the foot. You sound like your about my age. I have been riding for 42 years. Hard to think I was taken out by another bike. Ride safe

So sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you heal up completely. Honda St's are big heavy bikes. I know, I use to ride one before the FZ. Who knows if any kind of armor would have prevented your injuries in that nearly head on incident, but it's best to gear up as fully as you possibly can.

I've had lots of close calls, even with other bikes. Most of the time either they almost run over me from behind, or they run wide coming head on. As riders we accept the dangers and risks of doing what we love to do. Nobody ever wants to be involved in a crash while out on the road, but I'm determined not to die from just sitting in a rocking chair, growing old, while watching TV. I'm going to continue to ride something for as long as I can. Riding has been a huge part of my life since I was a little kid.

Back to talking about our other bikes, being almost 56 years old, and having more than my share of health problems, is what lead me to choose the FZ1 over all other choices for my main ride. It has a good blend of high power, comfort, reliability and light weight. Plus, the FZ1 is just plain fun, and an all round great bike for the money. I've ridden a lot of bikes in my years, and this one is the best bike for me that I've ever owned or ridden. That said, it doesn't have the character of an XS or other big twin bike. It's more like a Ferrari than a Harley.

th_June27th2010MyFZ1001.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m246/TheRepairMan/My 06 Yamaha/June27th2010MyFZ1001.jpg

Okay... I'm done!

-R

Last edited:
Alright how are youse guys riding FZ1's and keeping your driver's license? I bought one a couple of years ago and had to sell it quick before my license was pulled. I sold my gixxer 1100 many years ago for that reason and I guess I ain't no smarter now.

i really like the fz8:)

I know where there's a newish one for sale. He just lost the love for it real quickly.
Okay... not that there is anything at all wrong with the FZ8, but the FZ1 is nearly the identical bike, only 20lbs more (until you do the common mods, then the FZ1 weighs less) and has about 35%, or 40 more HP! You would be better off finding a year or two old FZ1 for much less money with some mods already done. Just my opinion.

Alright how are youse guys riding FZ1's and keeping your driver's license? I bought one a couple of years ago and had to sell it quick before my license was pulled. I sold my gixxer 1100 many years ago for that reason and I guess I ain't no smarter now.

These bikes have great brakes! Plus, I ride mine on the back rural roads where I just don't encounter the LEO all that often. And, I ride legal, and don't get too crazy with the throttle except in real brief blasts. Then there's luck... most days I just get lucky and make it back home uneventfully.

On the other side, there is a big drag strip near here that holds "street fight" events all Summer long. For $10 you can drag race with others for fun all evening and get that speed rush out of your system. Even they have rules though. Right now I'm outlawed because my FZ runs over 125mph through the quarter and I don't have full leathers.

-R

I know where there's a newish one for sale. He just lost the love for it real quickly.
Okay... not that there is anything at all wrong with the FZ8, but the FZ1 is nearly the identical bike, only 20lbs more (until you do the common mods, then the FZ1 weighs less) and has about 35%, or 40 more HP! You would be better off finding a year or two old FZ1 for much less money with some mods already done. Just my opinion.

These bikes have great brakes! Plus, I ride mine on the back rural roads where I just don't encounter the LEO all that often. And, I ride legal, and don't get too crazy with the throttle except in real brief blasts. Then there's luck... most days I just get lucky and make it back home uneventfully.

On the other side, there is a big drag strip near here that holds "street fight" events all Summer long. For $10 you can drag race with others for fun all evening and get that speed rush out of your system. Even they have rules though. Right now I'm outlawed because my FZ runs over 125mph through the quarter and I don't have full leathers.

-R

Had a Ducati 999 for a few years. Dont need anymore bike like that...power and suspension wise. My Versys is plently. Especially in ole Flatistan. And if i was buying a naked it would be a Ducati monster S4R. When it comes to sporting rides, the Italians do it best.

Had a Ducati 999 for a few years. Dont need anymore bike like that...power and suspension wise. My Versys is plently. Especially in ole Flatistan. And if i was buying a naked it would be a Ducati monster S4R. When it comes to sporting rides, the Italians do it best.

Yeah, the Versys could do anything my FZ can do. Maybe more... mine doesn't like gravel. Nice little bike!

Never been able to afford anything Italian, personally. Did own a bunch of VW's though... is that close? LOL!

-R

Last edited:
you can pick up a used s2r800 or 1000 for pretty decent price, like 4 to 8000 dollars. I like air cooled ducs alot more for the street. Far more useable power. Although i do keep checking out Guzzi's quite regularly now.

i really like the fz8:)

When I first saw the FZ8 I was pissed. It looks just like my modded FZ1. There are only probably a few hundred FZ1s that look like mine in the states, but now with the FZ8 they'll be a bunch of bikes on the road that look just like it. :thumbsdown: Well not that many since the FZ8 isn't that common, but still...

When you see the police, twist your right hand more! :D :wink2:

Its a three step process really..

Step 1: Take an R1 to EDR in Portland
Step 2: Come back with a wheelborrow of cash
Step 3: Enjoy your new additional horsepower to evade the authorities

:thumbsup:

completely customized Victory Vegas 8 Ball

customized Victory Vision 8 Ball

Attachments

• Imported Photos 00000.jpg
    Imported Photos 00000.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 181
  • Imported Photos 00002.jpg
    Imported Photos 00002.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Photo_040511_001.jpg
    Photo_040511_001.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 175
Nice to see the Victories. Here is our Victory Kingpin's. taken on our last trip in Glenwood Canyon, CO

Attachments

• IMG_3568 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_3568 - Version 2.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 169
I have had RD 250s and 350s, GS 750s and most recently an FZ-1.
My current "other ride" is a Triumph, but it has a couple of extra wheels...

CIMG3326-1.jpg

CIMG2923.jpg

Last edited:
Back