'71 xs1b conversion to cafe

Well I guess that's what this forum is for; we learn something new all the time. :thumbsup:

For me, that's my priority. Rather come across looking dumb than pretending I know what I'm doing.

So my plan with the front hub is to:

1) Clean it off as best as I can.
2) Pop it into the oven on a low setting for an hour, then push all bearings out.
3) Have them vaporblasted, then I'll polish them myself.
4) Install new brake shoes/bearings.

Sensible?

Tried to do a search on this forum for any threads dealing with rebuilding a front brake drum for a xs1b but a bunch of drum vs. discs diatribe threads came up, along with crazy threads on taking out front brakes.

If anyone could link one here, that would be great.

In the meantime, I removed all seals, cleaned up hubs as well as I could- any thoughts on popping them in the oven for say, an hour at 100 degrees to help pop out the old bearings?

bearing.jpg

In the front drum, re: speedometer worm gear- I'm debating whether to leave it in there or not- doesn't seem to need attention and I'm afraid I might not be able to source a replacement oil seal and O-ring for it if I take it out. I did see one on yambits but shipping is gonna kill me, for one little oil seal.

worm.jpg wormhole.jpg

Remove, clean and grease the linkages for the most part.
I love the look of a big ol double leading shoe drum.
I put new shoes on mine and adjusted it as best I could figure out but it's mushy and pretty ineffective. It really adds to the terror factor when you're pushing it hard in the twisties!
023ec7b1738e4cb0fe6b17a6c3e23b58.jpg

I took it back apart the other day cleaned up the dust and noticed only about 3/4 of the shoe is touching the drum. Should I attack it with a belt sander? Does anyone re-arch shoes anymore? Or should I wait for it to come around.

Michael morse AKA 650 Central, AKA vintage brakes does them and sells installs, high perf linings, supposed to be able to get near disk performance out of them, though the XS1 linkage geometry has room for improvement. (from what MM sez) lots of good reading there.

Michael morse AKA 650 Central, AKA vintage brakes does them and sells installs, high perf linings, supposed to be able to get near disk performance out of them, though the XS1 linkage geometry has room for improvement. (from what MM sez) lots of good reading there.

This what you talking about:

#BCEN25-1300 XS1 front brake shoes. Fits '70-71 front 2 LS drum. Made in Japan.

One more time: any thoughts on popping the drums into the oven to help with release of old bushings?

Greasy drum in the oven? Do you eat food from that oven? Wife?

300°F in a shop oven is OK.

We never did oven heating on drum brake bearing replacements.
Just popped them out, and back in...

Greasy drum in the oven? Do you eat food from that oven? Wife?

300°F in a shop oven is OK.

We never did oven heating on drum brake bearing replacements.
Just popped them out, and back in...

I've cleaned the drum as best as I can and was planning to wrap it in aluminum foil. My girlfriend doesn't live with me, but you may have a point- the smell may not be ideal. I'm going to try localized heating with a propane torch first.

Cleaned out the speedo hole and.. presto! el notches.. time to improvise a notched regular head type screwdriver. :banghead:

notches.jpg

I've cleaned the drum as best as I can and was planning to wrap it in aluminum foil. My girlfriend doesn't live with me, but you may have a point- the smell may not be ideal. I'm going to try localized heating with a propane torch first.

There's a centering washer on the inner spacer. Preplan your bearing removal to punch first on the bearing inner race that's more accessable.

The propane torch didn't do anything, so I decided to throw caution to the wind and put the drum in the oven at 300 degrees for 45 minutes. Nobody died, the house didn't burn down, and the smell was surprisingly minimal, probably because I scrubbed off as much grease/oil as possible.

Took it outside and bearings came out with one whack of the hammer and punch!

hub.jpg

I'm not sure what bushings you want to release. Anything that needs to come out should tap out without heat?

I'm not sure what bushings you want to release. Anything that needs to come out should tap out without heat?

I meant bearings, sorry.

All of them are out now, with minimal tapping- rear hub took longer, I assume because it has a lot more metal mass.

Off to vapor-blasting!

Do not repeat do NOT throw away the LH rear bearing until after you tap out and save the Hat shaped bushing inside it!

Back