Big TX500 project, any help appreciated!

IMG_3048.jpeg

Another at Barber.

I wonder how the performance compares to the 650. The power numbers differ 5 hp, but from what I have read, a stock 650 has maybe 45 rwhp, so the difference may even be less than 5 hp. And the 500 is a bit lighter as well.

I wonder how the performance compares to the 650. The power numbers differ 5 hp, but from what I have read, a stock 650 has maybe 45 rwhp, so the difference may even be less than 5 hp. And the 500 is a bit lighter as well.
If you mean the difference between the XS650 and the XS500, I have both and seat-of-the-pants tells me they would be close with equal riders. The 650 has better low-end torque, but the 500 likes to rev and is smoother at higher rpm. Just an old slow guy's opinion. :laugh:

I have read that a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone is very effective.
Doesnt the acetone trash all of the seals? even the ones which are still ok? Diesel is far more easy to deal with. If it doesnt free up after a week in diesel , arule of thumb is that it needs help. Hitting it with anything is a last resort. Strip the motor down as far as possible. all you know now is that it siezed. gearbox ? piston? big end?primary drive?If something in the gearbox failed and jammed in the works..... a chain tensioner dropped into the crank case and jammed the crank? .The kindest thing is to drop the oil. search the oil with a magnet. remove the engine and start to strip it. the further you go , the more you'll know.

Dilemma…..with options … this is back to the 1973 Yamaha tx500 build
Option 1- can purchase a 74 engine with good compression- engine is $400 plus shipping $265 - total $665
Option 2- purchase missing parts - engine top end - $200 plus gaskets and bolts $100- total $300
Option 3- choose option 1 or 2
There are no bikes to be found other than too far away.
Thoughts??

Option 1- can purchase a 74 engine with good compression- engine is $400 plus shipping $265 - total $665
Option 2- purchase missing parts - engine top end - $200 plus gaskets and bolts $100- total $300
Thoughts??
I think I would be inclined to go to Option 2. The 1974 engine could show up with a crack in the cylinder head. Then, you’re right back where you started.

Thoughts??
I'd find out if the crank's any good before making a decision. Would suck to just buy the top end and then find out you also need the bottom.

The only “engine” work I’ve ever done is a head gasket and water pump replacement on a Goldwing, A few years back, I did replace the 2nd gear on a 1983 Yamaha venture royale. I’m not sure if I have the expertise to do this :(

Made it back home….. 6 hr round trip to pick this up. Engine is not locked up and a spare engine came with it along with a million parts . All go to a 73 / 74 Yamaha tx500.
Surely I can now build a bike out of all of this :)

Attachments

• IMG_5462.jpeg
    IMG_5462.jpeg
    559.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5461.jpeg
    IMG_5461.jpeg
    686.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5463.jpeg
    IMG_5463.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5464.jpeg
    IMG_5464.jpeg
    460.6 KB · Views: 53
Nice parts grab! Those exhaust look nice and frame looks fairly clean.
Thanks. Have a whole box I still need to go through. Main thing is the engine is free and fingers crossed, compression is healthy. Guy I bought all this from was just overwhelmed with multiple projects and knew he would never get around to this one.he kinda threw in the bike as a part of the deal :)

Is that the newer head, the one that doesn't crack, lol ?
I wish but….. I’m being optimistic. I’m obviously not going to take the bike on a cross country trip or anything . I’m restoring a bit of history, especially the aesthetics aspect.
I’ve read countless testimonials where these early year bikes ran just fine with no issues…there lies my optimism:)
I’m also venturing on uncharted ground. Most of my restorations involved early wings.
I have my winter project now … and hopefully with some patience and determination, I can bring this bike back to its former glory :)

Back