My First XS, A Tracker Project

I really like your mufflers! Are the reverse cones tack welded, riveted or bolted on? I.e. are they easy to repack? And who makes them?

What slave is that you re running? I like how low profile it is! Did you have to make an extended pushrod?

I picked he slave up one Ebay, it's from a Husaberg FE550. I have it hooked up so the slave is pushing the stock worm gear, so the no changes to the pushrod other than I changed it to a one piece. I haven't had the bike running yet, but as far as I can tell it engages and disengages completely, with an easy 2 finger pull.

I really like your mufflers! Are the reverse cones tack welded, riveted or bolted on? I.e. are they easy to repack? And who makes them?

Made them myself, the reverse cones will be held on with rivets. I have no idea if they are easy to repack, haven't done it yet. It will probably end up being a bitch with my luck...haha

Got my exhaust installed....

I'm extremely close to starting this thing, waiting on some needles and needle jets to come in. The wait is killing me.

who makes the wheels? i tried to find them from you early description but had no luck. she looks really good man. you'll be at the pump a lot with that small tank.

Guess it's about time I revisited my thread. Here is a picture of the bike finished. Well, 99%, I don't think it will ever be truly done but it's on the road now. Still thinking of doing something to the seat cowl to break up the solid black. I'll give a more thorough update in a day or two when I have some more time.

Overall, the thing turned out better than I could have imagined.

Nice job on that bike! I see that you figured out the petcock situation for the tank. I know it is from a 125 motorcycle but any idea on year? I might have missed it but what did you do with the coils since you said they wouldn't fit under the tank?

Nice job on that bike! I see that you figured out the petcock situation for the tank. I know it is from a 125 motorcycle but any idea on year? I might have missed it but what did you do with the coils since you said they wouldn't fit under the tank?

It's a 1976 YZ125 aluminum tank with the original paint. It's about impossible to find a motorcycle tank of that age in damn near perfect shape, let alone a dirtbike tank. I had to run a 90 degree fitting to a remote shut off valve. It's still a tight fit.

All the electronics are under the seat even though it looks like there is nothing there. I re-wired the bike because my rushed first job irritated me. It wasn't clean enough. Much better:

I ditched the capacitor setup, I was having some reliability issues. Got this battery instead. It's super lightweight and can be mounted in any position. Stuck it to the frame right between the pod filters with some velcro and zip ties. You can barely see it, and it looks good anyway.

Ceramic coated the pipes. I really liked the raw steel look, especially how they got nice and blue up front, but it was way too much work to keep them rust free.

The little red battery ended up being unreliable as well. The whole reason why I went with a PMA in the first place was to avoid the use of a battery, but oh well. Put, in a lead-acid type and no longer have issues. I did scuff up the case though and paint it so it doesn't stick out so much. Now I want to go through and replace every bit of hardware I can with stainless. I hate rust.

So it only took well over 3 years to get it running good....

Yep, split flange from LC Fabrications.

And thanks for the comments guys. I don't think I could have done this build without this site. Some seriously knowledgeable and good people here, I spent many hours searching and learning from you all.

I don't think this bike will ever truly be finished, always something to tinker with!

Back