1970-1972 gas caps -- what the hey?

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have had a fair smattering of 1970-1972 gas tanks pass through my hands. All have been dang near impossible to close the gas cap on.
I have one now that I need to de-rust (https://www.xs650.com/threads/video-of-my-potters-wheel-tank-tumbler-cleaner.62917/) and put into service. I cannot close the cap. I removed the cap spring, and now, with a bit of effort, I can close it. That spring is very stout. My plan is to replace the stiff, original spring with one that is a whole lot softer.
Thoughts? Surely everyone else has to be doing this or something else to make these caps usable.

All have been dang near impossible to close the gas cap on.

Ask @Mailman - the one on the xs2 I got from him is smooth as butter.

Yeah there is a trick that Steve ( 2M) taught me . It all comes down to an added washer in the assembly. It’s in my XS2 thread. Gimme a while to look for it and I’ll post it here. 😉

The gas cap has a very steep angle of closure, making it hard to close the cap, because it wants to bind. Adding a washer here let’s the cap fall closer to the closed position and makes it much easier to close.
IMG_6922.jpeg

Without the washer, the gas cap makes contact at a very steep angle and it wants to bind up instead of compressing.
IMG_6923.jpeg

Once you add that washer it compresses the spring just enough to let it drop down to a narrower angle and greatly reduces the effort to close it. Again this is a 2M design.
IMG_6924.jpeg

The gas cap has a very steep angle of closure, making it hard to close the cap, because it wants to bind. Adding a washer here let’s the cap fall closer to the closed position and makes it much easier to close.
View attachment 309659

Without the washer, the gas cap makes contact at a very steep angle and it wants to bind up instead of compressing.
View attachment 309660

Once you add that washer it compresses the spring just enough to let it drop down to a narrower angle and greatly reduces the effort to close it. Again this is a 2M design.
View attachment 309661
Ahh, you beat me to it. Thanks again!!!! Great info!!!

I’ve also had several but not had an issue but I did put a small piece of rubber under the latch. When it snapped shut the latch was snapping against the tank. I was afraid of damaging the paint.

Maybe it's' that I tend to close them by placing my hand palm down on the center of the cap. Or someone before me used the 2M washer trick engineered solution?

Back