1976 XS650 restoration and rebuild, advice and help welcomed!

...Definitely have some questions at this stage! The gears, and major moving parts all look pretty good. Sharp teeth, and no alarm bells. But maybe someone will catch something I wouldn't know to look for. Here are the major pieces: crank, and transmission.

Any red flags? (for anyone that's still with me... haha. :thumbsup:)

Can't tell much from just pics. You must do the measurements on the crank.
2 pics are of output shaft, with barely enuff to see gearteeth of input shaft.
Input shaft 4th, and output shaft 3rd & 5th show the single notch revision mark.
May have incorrect gear combos.
Check my Service Bulletin albums, copy and check all the transmission bulletins against your gear combos.

Some of my concerns... There is a fairly wide range of corrosion found on the connecting rods. Some look factory fresh. There are 2 that look like they sat in the ocean. Perhaps the PO forgot some washers, little seals once upon a time...

The major question, can these be touched up or replaced easily enough. Tap and die set is at the ready for the threads if that's the way to go...

Those are case studs. You can just wire-brush them clean. Or, go all-out with abrasive blast, or replacement, which is overkill. Just be sure the nuts thread cleanly on/off.

Last but not least... As on the valve head on the top end, there are several mounting guides. Are these fixed in place, or can they wander to whatever half of their case they feel like sticking to?

Those are hollow dowels, used to establish alignment. Which side they stick to is random. Easily removed.

Can't tell much from just pics. You must do the measurements on the crank.
2 pics are of output shaft, with barely enuff to see gearteeth of input shaft.
Input shaft 4th, and output shaft 3rd & 5th show the single notch revision mark.
May have incorrect gear combos.
Check my Service Bulletin albums, copy and check all the transmission bulletins against your gear combos.

Thank you TwoMany, I will head down that road and attempt some accurate measurements of the crank. In the meantime I will snap some better photos of the gearing...

Thanks!

More progress-ish. Pistons cleaned, which will enable some wear/tolerance measuring in the cylinder.

Attachments

• IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 331
There's that mystery "1" stamped beneath the arrow, again.
It looks a tad larger than the factory's sizing numbers, perhaps from a different-sized English stamp set?

I just bought a 79' 650. So I'm reading your thread, George. Good luck! Might be above my level all this!

I just bought a 79' 650. So I'm reading your thread, George. Good luck! Might be above my level all this!

Joe, thanks! Trust you me, I had zero experience working on these things prior to diving in. As I've found and you may have already, the community here is knowledgable and generous. If there is anything you ever need, PM me. Happy to help!

Shifting mechanism, forks, etc removal... = Success. I used a section of coat hanger bent with a teeny 'L' on the end to pull out the shift fork cam, and guide. Careful! Dont lose the cam guide, (the small rings). once they where all removed, the mechanism lifted out of the case easy enough.

There is a bearing on the opposing side from the gear selector however, that remains in the case... Not sure how to remove that one!

Ill have to take a photo...

but here are the shift forks...

Attachments

• IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 245
Gonna jump in this thread if ya don't mind and say a few words. I'm about a few days away from buying an ol '76 xs650 as well. (The red one...) pretty beat up too. Wayyyy more than yours. Lol! But looking forward to bring her back to life. Very excited reading your thread. I was going to buy a Bonny brand new, but since it's my first bike I don't want to take any chances right? Lack of experience an all. Stumbled upon this really nice little bike and got all invested into it. Buying it for 1000$ CAD. Probably gonna deal him down to 800$ or something. Engine is rebuilt and ready to go, so I'll drive it around as is until winter and completely overhaul it like you're doing. So I've been researching like a fanatic everything I can "pacman" style chomp up on the bike. Haha. Anyways, here's a link you might find useful. This guy... Rebuilt this exact same engine on YouTube STEP-by-STEP.. Like 20-30 videos. One after the other. You know what they say... A motion picture says 10 000 words!

Here's just one of the segments.
Enjoy:

Gonna jump in this thread if ya don't mind and say a few words. I'm about a few days away from buying an ol '76 xs650 as well. (The red one...) pretty beat up too. Wayyyy more than yours. Lol! But looking forward to bring her back to life. Very excited reading your thread. I was going to buy a Bonny brand new, but since it's my first bike I don't want to take any chances right? Lack of experience an all. Stumbled upon this really nice little bike and got all invested into it. Buying it for 1000$ CAD. Probably gonna deal him down to 800$ or something. Engine is rebuilt and ready to go, so I'll drive it around as is until winter and completely overhaul it like you're doing. So I've been researching like a fanatic everything I can "pacman" style chomp up on the bike. Haha. Anyways, here's a link you might find useful. This guy... Rebuilt this exact same engine on YouTube STEP-by-STEP.. Like 20-30 videos. One after the other. You know what they say... A motion picture says 10 000 words!

Enjoy:

Thanks for the link, and encouragement. I'm about to begin the rebuilding... Ive caught a few of those videos already, great stuff. Much appreciated! Holler if there is anything I can do for you!

...This guy... Rebuilt this exact same engine on YouTube STEP-by-STEP.. Like 20-30 videos. One after the other. You know what they say... A motion picture says 10 000 words!

Enjoy:

That's our esteemed member, "I am Carbon". Here's his build thread:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23224

Thanks again for the video link TwoMany. Do you think an approriately sized piece of dowel stock would be a useful spacer to place between the drum and the bearing, to then press out the bearing from the inside?

Sure, that'll work...

Finally back at it. The final pieces of the head removed, and taking the cases to the shop for cleaning today. Rocker shafts and arms removed. May be a nod for the poor man's tool box. I used a piece of steel bar stock to tap out the stubborn rockers. Drilled a hole, and used a longer 6mm bolt, with a head in the drilled hole. Tapped them right out.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 278
Next question... I really like the results of vapor blasting that I have seen. Any advice on cleaning these cases?? Should I have them boiled, or just go straight to the vapor blast? I have tried to get the bulk of the funk removed, but there is a ton, in every nook and cranny.

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 250
Long ago, I worked a short stint at an engine remanufactoring plant. Special area out back, they had a high-pressure steam cleaner that would sterilize engine blocks and heads squeaky 'bare metal' clean.

No soap, no solvents, just super-hot, scalding, high pressure, super heated steam.

Not for the faint-of-heart, guys would have to suit-up to do that work.

I wonder if that kind of service exists...?

While waiting for the cases to come out of the hot tank for cleaning, the cylinder bored, and the valve job completed, I found this small piece of insurance. XS650s don't seem to be nearly as fluid in the market here in SoCal as other areas of the country, so I consider myself lucky to have found this extra motor.

Its from an 82'. Supposedly runs. I believe it was on its way to a kick only chopper duty. The tac is deleted, and the starter motor removed. All in all in pretty good cosmetic shape. Need to double check the compression...

From my limited reading so far, is it true that carbs from 76' will not pair up with an 82'? Inviting all opinions on dropping this 82' into the build... Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 276
as long as the intakes come with any year carbs will fit any year engine. Mechanically the 82 is plug an play into your 76 frame, charging and ignitions are different. but swaps can be done fairly easily

Back