1979 XS650SF Valve Clearance

tnbert

Banned
Reaction score
I've searched threads and can't seem to find the specific valve clearances for a '79 XS650SF. I don't have a manual yet, and have a lot of clicking when engine is cold for about 20 seconds. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

It could be cam chain tensioner needs adjusting too.

On my '79, I set the intake valves at .003 and exhaust at .006. I don't recall if that's stock or not, however. I'm sure someone will chime in soon enough.

Also, for the adjustments, I've followed this concept and has worked for me for years.

Good luck!

Use .003" on the intakes, .006" on the exhausts. That ticking at startup may not be the valves. It could be a front cam chain guide going bad. You will also want to check the cam chain adjustment. A loose cam chain can tick just like loose valves.

Thanks to all for the advice. Recently bought the bike. PO said he was not the original owner and had never adjusted the valves or cam chain. I don't know much about its service history. From a cold start, it's gets quiet after about 20 seconds.
That valve adjustment video is awesome! I'll try that method after I check the cam chain tension. Thanks again!

Back