1984 XS650 Instruments

dubepj

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please enlighten me. Is there some sort of light to warn of low oil pressure on my 1984 XS650 model SK? Or any thing to warn if battery is not charging?
Will buy an aftermarket Volt meter since these bikes don't have a voltmeter gauge.

What do you suggest for oil pressure warning device? Thanks.

No oil pressure to speak of on these. When they are cold there is some but once warmed up next to none. Rev-counter cable runs off the oil pump so if the rev-counter stops then stop and check to see if it is a broken cable. If the cable is intact the pump wheel may not be turning.

Rev-counter is the oil warning device

No oil pressure to speak of on these. When they are cold there is some but once warmed up next to none. Rev-counter cable runs off the oil pump so if the rev-counter stops then stop and check to see if it is a broken cable. If the cable is intact the pump wheel may not be turning.

Rev-counter is the oil warning device
Keep oil in it. Seriously, there’s extremely low oil pressure in this engine. It’s all roller bearings.
Yeah, what they said. I installed 2M's top end pressure gauge. At start-up it registers somewhere around 3 or 4 PSI. After 5 minutes it's at zero and stays there.

i think 2M does have some oil pressure but he is also running MikesXS high output oil pump.......

I’ve plumbed an oil pressure gauge to the right side engine cover on my special. It’s really not hard to do but there is some drilling involved.

As stated above, these bike don’t run crazy hi pressure. Once warmed up mine consistently runs between 5-7 psi.

If you are going to go this route, make sure you check gauge before you purchase. The make different psi ratings. The max mine goes to is 15 psi.

I’ve seen the same size units rated for 60 psi, 80 psi, and 100 psi respectively.

Back