2023 Dick Russell Memorial Rally - Mountain View, AR. May 4th - 7th, 2023. Hosted by the Yamaha 650 Society.

I am old, my lower back needed a rest. We had stood around doing nothing for 15-20 minutes. I laid down on the slope away from the roadway but very near Mikey's bike. Stretched my back a little and closed my eyes to the sun overhead. Suddenly I heard "Sir where do you hurt? Can you move?" I opened my eyes looking straight up to a vision of beauty packed nicely into a State Trooper uniform standing right over my head. Did I mentionshe was very nicely packed into a State Troopers uniform? I think the riders 30-40 feet away were calling "He needs mouth to mouth" or some sillyness
Well, this will make for great material to add to any future "story hours". I'm looking forward to your account of it at next year's get together. ;)

How dinged up is his bike?
I did not study it closely. I remember tins intact, bent ears and indicator stalk, headlight shell and ring and left side muff. Windscreen and mounts also were damaged. It was a low speed gravel "get off" . Disclaimer here. I was three bikes behind him and we were at a relaxed pace. I parked my bike just as he was getting himself into a sitting position and taking his helmet off. The helmet was scratched but not gouged. Jpdevol and Ben1 were arriving at about the same time.

I did not study it closely. I remember tins intact, bent ears and indicator stalk, headlight shell and ring and left side muff. Windscreen and mounts also were damaged. It was a low speed gravel "get off" . Disclaimer here. I was three bikes behind him and we were at a relaxed pace. I parked my bike just as he was getting himself into a sitting position and taking his helmet off. The helmet was scratched but not gouged. Jpdevol and Ben1 were arriving at about the same time.
If I can help, let me know.

If I can help, let me know.
As I understand, Mikey got the bike from Mailman in AZ and it was/is a calender worthy bike, 77 XS with very cool 77 paint scheme. Our prayers go to Mike's recovery. All of us on the scene remember Mikeys' good nature even in his discomfort. He was at the Rally headquarters the next day and in good humour. I think each and every rally participant and all forum member are hopefully for his full recovery. I met him first on this trip and enjoy his fun and easygoing manor.

Since this isn’t a secret…

IMG_2484.jpeg

My bike is in the foreground. That’s where Mikey left the pavement. Ben’s bike up ahead is where he hit the deck. Evidence says low speed.

IMG_2485.jpeg

The bike will live.

Thanks for all the good vibes and comments
Even Bruemmer you suck made my stitches ac
Leaving hospital this morning
Leaving KS tomorrow morning
It will feel good to . Be miserable at home
First 2-3 weeks I have to really behave but I can do that outside
What doesn't kill can make you stronger
Like hell It does it just hurts like hell and the food sucks and lack of sleep keeps you buzzy

For us out of country guys, I cringe at the thought of being hospitalized in the us after such an incident. That’s why when I go south of the border, medical insurance is a must have.
Absolutely! Several years ago, I was at a rally (not XS650) where one of the participants crashed. He was a flatlander riding extremely technical Appalachian roads. He broke ribs and lacerated his spleen. This involved a life flight to get him to the hospital. As I recall, the hospital bill was $80,000 and the helicopter ride was another $40,000. Our rider had no insurance. Emergency healthcare here isn't cheap. So yes, engaging in a risky activity without being prepared for what can happen has consequences.

I can't remember the last time this happened while riding with the 650 Society. I think our record is extremely good, especially considering the knowledge I have of incidents in other groups.

Thanks for all the good vibes and comments
Even Bruemmer you suck made my stitches ac
Leaving hospital this morning
Leaving KS tomorrow morning
It will feel good to . Be miserable at home
First 2-3 weeks I have to really behave but I can do that outside
What doesn't kill can make you stronger
Like hell It does it just hurts like hell and the food sucks and lack of sleep keeps you buzzy
Get well soon!!!

How did I not know about this!?!?
I live 8 miles from Mountain View!! I wish I had known!
I'd love to meet some of you guys and thank you personally for all the help you were when I was building my street tracker!
Maybe even could have hosted a get together here at the house. For sure could offer truck and trailer for roadside rescues and have tool's if somebody needed to tweak something.
Is there an email list I can get on? Is the forum the only way to stay in the loop?

I am old, my lower back needed a rest. We had stood around doing nothing for 15-20 minutes. I laid down on the slope away from the roadway but very near Mikey's bike. Stretched my back a little and closed my eyes to the sun overhead. Suddenly I heard "Sir where do you hurt? Can you move?" I opened my eyes looking straight up to a vision of beauty packed nicely into a State Trooper uniform standing right over my head. Did I mentionshe was very nicely packed into a State Troopers uniform? I think the riders 30-40 feet away were calling "He needs mouth to mouth" or some sillyness
Miss vision of beauty is Candice Pike Badge number 150 o_O And her rank is TRP whatever that means
How do I know well I spent $12.50 to be able to download a copy of the trooper report so I can turn it in to my insurance company
Although with just liability insurance my medicals might not be paid by them so I have to swear that I got off the bike and I either fell or someone pushed me to the ground :whistle:
My Medicare and supplental insurance will cover it if they don't get wind of the act of me commiting slow suicide on a shallow gravel ditch
And I didn't turn anything into motorcycle ins company yet we'll see how this shakes out
Note to self don't be such a cheap ass and spring for the full coverage or at least something (PIP) that will for sure cover my injuries just in case
To soon to old to late to smart

Last edited:
How did I not know about this!?!?
I live 8 miles from Mountain View!! I wish I had known!
I'd love to meet some of you guys and thank you personally for all the help you were when I was building my street tracker!
Maybe even could have hosted a get together here at the house. For sure could offer truck and trailer for roadside rescues and have tool's if somebody needed to tweak something.
Is there an email list I can get on? Is the forum the only way to stay in the loop?
Get on the website once and a while and join in,you can be like me and throw out a joke or 2 in the just a joke thread and learn from the pros

Get on the website once and a while and join in,you can be like me and throw out a joke or 2 in the just a joke thread and learn from the pros
I guess with finishing the street tracker and moving, I got out of the habit of getting on the website. Had to make a new profile because I forgot my original login and I have a different email.
Anyway, I'll try to stay in touch and tell ya'll a joke once in a while. Ha ha

Miss vision of beauty is Candice Pike Badge number 150 o_O And her rank is TRP whatever that means
How do I know well I spent $12.50 to be able to download a copy of the trooper report so I can turn it in to my insurance company
Although with just liability insurance my medicals might not be paid by them so I have to swear that I got off the bike and I either fell or someone pushed me to the ground :whistle:
My Medicare and supplental insurance will cover it if they don't get wind of the act of me commiting slow suicide on a shallow gravel ditch
And I didn't turn anything into motorcycle ins company yet we'll see how this shakes out
Note to self don't be such a cheap ass and spring for the full coverage or at least something (PIP) that will for sure cover my injuries just in case
To soon to old to late to smart
She likes me better...

Back