25 years in the barn

K&L has been around a looong time - long before Mike started importing stuff via Taiwan (in fact IIRC Mike Lalonde used to work for K&L before he went off on his own). K&L's products have always been good quality; I can't remember anything that was substandard or unservicable off-hand.
Well crap, now I find out after doing complete front and rear master cylinder and caliper rebuilds...guess I'll see how long they hold up. :doh:

Oh well, at least I'm cheap labor... :shrug:

They may well be cheap ass Chinese, but even the Chinese get it right once and a while. I've run these for about 4 yrs now. No complaints. I know other forum members are running 'em too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293800659036?hash=item4467e2485c:g:SewAAOSwe61fklRh&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA8CWd0UFTyxj6ENsdB3S3l2wALSkmKDc505MechY4oeSem+K/jorM89naxOLQEJfcDf7a4E1fEYGk6bkV8zdb1yrquozy+OgMGWegC0+dH+uFYbngqwRg7saJ7dK1jxuy1fLmgmvDRPIN616arP2X52OWzWoxxxscSoJBi9ZqJF/cPEGULb9zU7Mbn5JKDh27BCPIabgXkhu3QSPdQ3mXPApAzYyA8ddrY9xA/B/7pQWnE9yFzY+E3yA+0ItwG5f/aCmmOcugm8V1/Rwln8rQS7ffZDqXRPGla8norQpVi9saZMckwKaQGzCJMg8mi7Hkvg==|tkp:BFBM0LyqysJi

View attachment 249698

Re rebuild kits: Try to find K&L branded ones. They're good quality, even though you'll pay a little more. The rubber bits & bobs you get from Mikes XS are of dubious quality. In fact, a lot of Mikes stuff is dubious... though some bits are OK. Best to ask here first before ordering from them.

Welcome from Wales.
I changed to a one piece braided steel on my customised front end. Works a treat.
IMG_0140.JPEG

Also changed the K&N Pods filters for UNI Pods. Makes a huge difference to how the bike now performs.

K&L has been around a looong time - long before Mike started importing stuff via Taiwan (in fact IIRC Mike Lalonde used to work for K&L before he went off on his own). K&L's products have always been good quality; I can't remember anything that was substandard or unservicable off-hand.
The only grump I have with K&L is their marketing of "generic" XS650 carb kits. Suppling somewhat random jet sets that are often plain WRONG for the supposed year the kit is sold to fit.

Well crap, now I find out after doing complete front and rear master cylinder and caliper rebuilds...guess I'll see how long they hold up. :doh:

Oh well, at least I'm cheap labor... :shrug:
Took it out and aggressively rode a good bit last night.

It feels soooo good to have front and rear functioning brakes again...no worries about dragging anymore, just nice, solid braking power as it should be.

Time to do the other 1980's rear now...parts on hand already. ;)đź‘Ť

In the back of the carbs sits an oval opening. That's the sense air (for lack of a better term) that regulates the slide, and by extension the needle. It needs undisturbed air to "sense" correctly. Air through those pleats is anything but undisturbed.

Not blowing a 25yr old tire 'round a curve ranks right up there too. ;)
Might wanna up the priority there.
Dang Jim, where's your sense of adventure?

So, I ordered K&L rebuild kits from Motosport and just need to measure and order a one piece brakeline. I also need handlebars as mine been bent since I got it some 30 years ago. I have no intention to make mine look like adamc's or gggGary's. I just want it to be safe and functional. Still on the list is tires, front forks, chain maybe?, then ride it around a little and see what else needs fixed. What else might need fixed?
Welcome from Wales.
I changed to a one piece braided steel on my customised front end. Works a treat.
View attachment 249784
Also changed the K&N Pods filters for UNI Pods. Makes a huge difference to how the bike now performs.

Back