3 Questions that are going to put me in a psych ward

drsmith

RatRider
Reaction score
So I posted earlier about my first xs650 purchase
I was wondering about having to install all new wiring and a new ignition system like Pamco or boyer to get it running.
The bike came with a TC bros wiring harness (http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/1970-79-yamaha-xs650-chopper-wiring-harness-points-ignition.html)
I took off some caps so I could see what i'm working with but I don't have the trained eye (yet) to know if my current ignition system and stator are in working condition and how to check for that.

Also it seems I'm missing a front fork piece. Where would I even find this piece?! and it also looks like i'm missing something on the part of the wheel that connects to the axle (3rd photo), like a missing bearing or something?

Any information is helpful, thanks everyone.
Looking forward to getting my new baby in running condition.
13499776_254204544948624_1597039061_o.jpg 13493733_254204491615296_1432070944_o.jpg 13518296_254204468281965_118067685_o.jpg

There is plenty of charging/ignition information in the tech section. The missing part on your front wheel is the speedometer unit. tim

fork, yes; speedo drive and LH fork "cap"
you have stock early charging and ignition parts that "look" complete and useable. but we can't see the other external parts of those systems.
looks like some mish mash of parts, the fork leg may an early 72-76 the wheel is a later special mag. There is a ho-made spacer in there also.
There "could be" some rotor compatibility issues.
you should maybe back away and give us some overall shots of the bike.

fork, yes; speedo drive and LH fork "cap"
you have stock early charging and ignition parts that "look" complete and useable. but we can't see the other external parts of those systems.
looks like some mish mash of parts, the fork leg may an early 72-76 the wheel is a later special mag. There is a ho-made spacer in there also.
There "could be" some rotor compatibility issues.
you should maybe back away and give us some overall shots of the bike.

Hi Doc,
what Gary sez.
If the problem bike is the one in your avatar almost anything is possible because XS650 parts will swap about between years like LEGO.
Also, the alternator and the ignition/lights are seperate systems.
The stator/rotor/rectifier/regulator charges the bike's battery and the bike's battery works the ignition and the lights.
So you can have a working alternator and dead ignition &/or lights OR you can have a dead alternator and lights &/or ignition that will work until the battery runs flat.
Unless the dreaded PO has removed the battery in favor of an (expletive deleted) capacitor.
Then your bike is plain ol' dead the instant that the alternator stops working.
But there's always room in the trashpile for a capacitor, battery carriers are available via the list's classifieds and a good-enough battery ain't all that expensive, eh?

Ok, first off, you being a fairly new guy, Howdy.
Now for an important question, Do you have a repair manual? I know this place is a great source of info, but a repair manual is hard to do without.
There are fee ones online, like at biker.net Ebay has the Clymer's and Haynes books as well as factory books.
You can also find downloads around too.
I have all years either in book form, all three sources as well as in downloads. Very handy.
Now to your questions, You have, from what we can see a stator, with brushes and the rotor inside the lower left engine cover. To make it work you need to test what you have there and search through the parts to find a regulator and rectifier. Test theses parts to. The books tell you how.
There is a charging system guide on here that will help.
Once you have found all the parts and tested them and found them ok you can assemble them into a working charging system. One thing to remember is the stock system relies on a good battery to work.
The good battery also runs the ignition system.
Behind your upper round cover on the left side you have found the points. If you look under the same cover on the right side you will find the mechanical advancer unit. or ATU. Along with these parts you will need the coils, condensers, plug wires and plugs.
A bit of searching in the "Some Wiring Diagrams" thread you will find links to wiring diagrams, Find the one for your year bike. Or go by one of the simplified diagrams that matches what you have. I like #4 on the list.
By using a diagram you can figure out how all these things wire together. I Always recommend you get the charging system wired up right first, then add in the ignition. Once you get things this far then you can find out if and how well it runs and charges the battery.
Once you get that far then you can add in other things, like lights, turn signals, horn,
Leo

There is plenty of charging/ignition information in the tech section. The missing part on your front wheel is the speedometer unit. tim
Thank you Tim! I was so confused by it.

Hi Doc,
what Gary sez.
If the problem bike is the one in your avatar almost anything is possible because XS650 parts will swap about between years like LEGO.
Also, the alternator and the ignition/lights are seperate systems.
The stator/rotor/rectifier/regulator charges the bike's battery and the bike's battery works the ignition and the lights.
So you can have a working alternator and dead ignition &/or lights OR you can have a dead alternator and lights &/or ignition that will work until the battery runs flat.
Unless the dreaded PO has removed the battery in favor of an (expletive deleted) capacitor.
Then your bike is plain ol' dead the instant that the alternator stops working.
But there's always room in the trashpile for a capacitor, battery carriers are available via the list's classifieds and a good-enough battery ain't all that expensive, eh?
Hey Fred!
That bike in my avatar sure if the problem bike.
Luckily I still will be running a battery on the bike! Not a fan of the magneto.

Ok, first off, you being a fairly new guy, Howdy.
Now for an important question, Do you have a repair manual? I know this place is a great source of info, but a repair manual is hard to do without.
There are fee ones online, like at biker.net Ebay has the Clymer's and Haynes books as well as factory books.
You can also find downloads around too.
I have all years either in book form, all three sources as well as in downloads. Very handy.
Now to your questions, You have, from what we can see a stator, with brushes and the rotor inside the lower left engine cover. To make it work you need to test what you have there and search through the parts to find a regulator and rectifier. Test theses parts to. The books tell you how.
There is a charging system guide on here that will help.
Once you have found all the parts and tested them and found them ok you can assemble them into a working charging system. One thing to remember is the stock system relies on a good battery to work.
The good battery also runs the ignition system.
Behind your upper round cover on the left side you have found the points. If you look under the same cover on the right side you will find the mechanical advancer unit. or ATU. Along with these parts you will need the coils, condensers, plug wires and plugs.
A bit of searching in the "Some Wiring Diagrams" thread you will find links to wiring diagrams, Find the one for your year bike. Or go by one of the simplified diagrams that matches what you have. I like #4 on the list.
By using a diagram you can figure out how all these things wire together. I Always recommend you get the charging system wired up right first, then add in the ignition. Once you get things this far then you can find out if and how well it runs and charges the battery.
Once you get that far then you can add in other things, like lights, turn signals, horn,
Leo
Hi there! I don't but I sure as heck need to get one. I'm going to browse around the net now.
If I want to keep my bike kickstart only, do I still need an ignition system? (edit: I think I got an ignition system mixed up with electric start, oops)

Thank you for all the useful information, I appreciate it a lot.

Thank you Tim! I was so confused by it.

Hey Fred!
Luckily I still will be running a battery on the bike! Not a fan of the magneto.

Hi Doc,
then it's lucky for you that the XS650 don't have a magneto, eh? Last magneto-sparked bike I had was a '57 BSA 500cc single.
No, not a Gold Star, an iron-engined B33.
Mind you, you can get an aftermarket magneto that'll bolt onto the end of an XS650's camshaft, price is about $1,200 plus installation cost.
What your bike has is coil and points ignition, at least, that's what it came with, the way your bike has been PO'd, you'd best check.

Hi there! I don't but I sure as heck need to get one. I'm going to browse around the net now.
If I want to keep my bike kickstart only, do I still need an ignition system? (edit: I think I got an ignition system mixed up with electric start, oops)

Yeah, a paper manual is best. Propping up your laptop in the garage to see an e-copy as you wrench is a poor second choice.
Your local Yamaha store most likely won't stock an XS650 manual but they'll bring one in for you.
Same deal at your local library through the library loans service but you gotta return it and keep the pages clean.
And yeah, I think you mean "Do I still need a battery if I go kick only" Well, not really, you can use a capacitor instead
but I see far more capacitor related problems posted than I see battery related problems so I'd say "Yes you do."
Mind you, with a kick-only bike you could use a smaller one.

Thank you for all the useful information, I appreciate it a lot.

Well, that didn't work, trying again:-
Hey Fred!

Hi Doc,
then it's lucky for you that the XS650 don't have a magneto, eh? Last magneto-sparked bike I had was a '57 BSA 500cc single.
No, not a Gold Star, an iron-engined B33.
Mind you, you can get an aftermarket magneto that'll bolt onto the end of an XS650's camshaft, price is about $1,200 plus installation cost.
What your bike has is coil and points ignition, at least, that's what it came with, the way your bike has been PO'd, you'd best check.

Yeah, a paper manual is best. Propping up your laptop in the garage to see an e-copy as you wrench is a poor second choice.
Your local Yamaha store most likely won't stock an XS650 manual but they'll bring one in for you.
Same deal at your local library through the library loans service but you gotta return it and keep the pages clean.
And yeah, I think you mean "Do I still need a battery if I go kick only" Well, not really, you can use a capacitor instead
but I see far more capacitor related problems posted than I see battery related problems so I'd say "Yes you do."
Mind you, with a kick-only bike you could use a smaller one.

Thank you for all the useful information, I appreciate it a lot.[/QUOTE]

Back