70 -73 centre stand from later stand ?

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I need a centre stand for my XS1B.
I seem to have quite a few late type stands, so I'm wondering if simply cutting and narrowing a late type item would produce an acceptable working stand ?
Or would the height be wrong ?

I'm currently doing one. I want to shorten the stand on one of my XS2s. I don't want to cut up a early stand to do it. So I got one from a 75 XS650. It is not a problem to narrow it. I have run into a problem. The left leg angles out some. I'm pretty sure that's the way it was built. The feet sit nice and flat and there is a gusset on the angled side. Now I'm debating do I want or need to go to the trouble of making it straight.
Maybe someone knows if the later stands are angled on the left side.

1654898651992.png

In a frame.

1654898962549.png

That looks promising !
You have an advantage over me in that you apparently have a known good XS2 stand to compare against.
I have no early stand at all, not even a rotten or busted one as yet.
I don't really need to create an authentic looking replica, just something that will work.
Does that splayed out left leg foul anything ?

I do not know. I haven't tried it on the bike yet.
Laying on the floor holding it up it looks like the extra stuff on the back of the left foot will hit the muffler.
I can't tell if the angle is going to be a problem.
I think I'll straighten the leg.
1654900664345.png

For such a small fabrication, there's quite a lot of work involved in fabricating a replica stand.
However I do get the odd day at work when I have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do.
I think that given a little time I could knock up a reasonably accurate replica despite the lack of facilities.
In terms of man hours expended, absolutely not worth it, but then I'm being paid to do nothing, so why not ?

If you can get a later model stand I think that's the way to go. At least for me, I have the tools but not a good supply of metal to make one.

While you're doing all that work, don't forget to brace the tang. They have a nasty habit of breaking off, lol.

Braced Stand2.JPG

Did this one the other day at work.
The arm had previously been busted off and welded back on, so the gusset was probably essential.
Maybe getting our idiot painter to paint it wasn't such a good idea - might as well have just chucked it in a bucket of paint

Attachments

• 20220611_081304.jpg
    20220611_081304.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220611_081553.jpg
    20220611_081553.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 60
While you're doing all that work, don't forget to brace the tang. They have a nasty habit of breaking off, lol.
If you shorten the centerstand bracing is unnecessary. This is the stand on my original XS2. When I had a 2 into 1 exhaust on it there was no tang. All I had to do to get it on the stand was push it down, hold my foot behind it to keep it from sliding backwards, pull backwards on left hand grip and lift slightly on rear fender stay. When I went to dual exhaust I had to add a tang. No bracing needed. LOL
1654976419036.png

Great stuff!
way down on the round tuit list is (was) modding a late stand to fit an early frame.
Looks like the goal posts just moved further away...

Back