'72 swingarm to a '76 swingarm ---not a bolt on??

DanW

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just joined the forum about a week ago and I already ran into a slight problem converting my '72 swingarm to a '76 that I just bought off ebay. I did a search and most of what I read made it seem as this was a simple bolt on change-- but that's not the case with mine. Wheel axle and swingarm axle are fine but problem is in the width at the end of the swingarm (where the wheel axle goes) looks to be about 5/8" wider than the '72. So my two problems are: 1--rear shocks mounts on swingarm are a bit too wide and 2--spacing for the wheel is too wide. The only easy solution I thought about was "squishing" the swingarm but something tells me this isn't a good idea. Any help would be great.

Late model spacers or washers, For the shocks maybe the slight angle won't bother anything? They do have rubber bushings top and bottom. You might be able to add a washer behind the shock on the top mount stud.

I know the '72 takes a different through-bolt, although the bushings are the same from'70-84. Is the swing arm longer where it fit's in the frame? I dunno.

Swingarm bolts into the frame perfect--- its just the width at the other end. I think the angle for the shocks would eventually cause a problem and I plan on going with a high quality shock $$. I'll check out the later model spacers for the wheel alignment problem--thanks

Yea---I'm still using the original '72 wheel just swaping out the swingarm to get a longer wheel base for better handling--original swingarm is way too short for any street tracker I think. Gary-- do you know for sure if the later model wheel spacers would fix my wheel alignment problem?

I can confirm that this is in fact an issue (not that you needed me to of course)

I ran into it in a different way a few years back doing up my '72 cafe racer. I got a Radian swingarm to bolt on, understanding it was a bolt-on for XS650's.

Turns out it might very well be, on later models. I had to move the shock mounts inward to line up with the frame mounts. Earlier swingarms are in fact narrower than later ones.

Also... steering heads are NOT swappable from later models onto the 1971/2 frames (maybe not the 73 either - not sure when the frames were changed). I got a later model 35mm front end to put on and lo-and-behold, the stem on the 35mm trees is taller by a good chunk than the earlier ones.

So much taller that the locking nuts cannot thread down far enough to load up the bearings (I used tapered bearings). So one could either throw a spacer under the lock nuts, or, swap out the stems.

Anyhow - get yourself the matching axle/spacers for the later model swingarm and you should be fine. The rear hub didn't change so far as I know so things should work just fine.

I'm no handling expert, but shorter wheelbase = tighter cornering etc. no? I'm using the earlier model short swingarm (I sold the Radian arm after modifying it as I preferred the more vintage look and length of the original).

Short wheel base usually = more "flickability" but in the XS2 case---the wheel base seems too short which is why most flat trackers go with a much longer swingarm. Honestly the other reason I went longer was pure look---I stand back and look at the bike and it looks like someone rear ended me with the rear wheel pushed way in. So I bought later model spacers/adjusters/and axle off ebay which is currently lost in the mail so my progress has stalled. I did find a fix for the rear shock alignment which was by just tweeking the upper shock mount-- no big deal. Next will be a 13.5" rear shock to put it all together and take a quick ride to make sure all is well before the snow and then tear it down to the frame.

Tim, a spacer under the lower bearing half as much as you need and the other half under the lock nuts will take up the space.
70-73 are the shorter necks. In 74 they did a lot of mods to the frame. Almost enough to say a whole new frame. Longer neck was just one.
I think it was 3/8 inch longer neck but don't recall for sure. That or maybe 3/8 inch spacer at both top and bottom.
Leo

Yup - I did it the hard way because I didn't want all that extra stem sticking out above and below the head.

I did all this 3 years ago - it was really odd as at the time there didn't seem to be any discussion on this - i.e. that the front ends were not swappable, that the swingarms are not swappable (at least not bolt-on and go).

Another note is the earlier frames' footpeg mounting studs are not spaced the same as later ones, so pre-made brackets like Omar's rearset plates do NOT fit earlier frames.

Back