75 650 fuse blowing

bluesman650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
First a little history. I have 1975 xs650B which I have owned since new, pretty much stock. I recently installed new fork seals, and while I had it apart I removed the headlight ears for repainting, so I also had the headlight out. Well last night I got it all back together, took it off the lift and fired it up. It ran for about 10 sec. then dead, like someone turned switch off. The fuse blew. I suspected maybe I had pinched something in the headlight so this morning I bought some more fuses. Before I put the fuse in I removed the headlight and checked things out but didn't see anything obvious. Well I went through all but one of the 5 fuses. I had VOM out checking things when suddenly I couldn't reproduce it anymore. So I buttoned it back up and everything seems normal. So now I don't know what to do. I'm afraid to ride it not knowing what was causing the fuse to blow. Yes I still have the old glass fuse! Any thoughts?

Thanks

Carefully check all the grommets at the back of the headlight shell. I'd lay a 5'r that your problem is a nicked wire touching the shell cause grommet is falling apart. Pretty common, found a couple like that here.

Carefully check all the grommets at the back of the headlight shell. I'd lay a 5'r that your problem is a nicked wire touching the shell cause grommet is falling apart. Pretty common, found a couple like that here.
Yes, I hadn't checked that closely, I just made sure they were there. Thank's.

Back