75 XS 650 Fork replacement

T4NG

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Long-time lurker here and looking to see if anyone can give some advice on fork issues. Currently I have a 1975 XS 650 and my fork tubes after removal have been bent and become unusable. Ebay is pretty much void of any viable replacements,same for CL and mikesXS, but they do have a listed 73 fork, issue here is I only really need the tubes but I hear the triple tree needs to be specific for the 73 as well but is that true for the fork lowers also?

Essentially I'm looking into swapping my 75 front fork for a 73 but keeping my original lowers so that I don't have to get a new caliper and brake rotor + wheel to accommodate the older fork (or would I even need to??).

If anyone has experience with this or recommendations please let me know what you thinking. Also checked franks fork tubes page and the guy wants $375 for a set and at that point I think i might as well do a gsxr fork conversion.

T4NG,
I went in the other direction for "The Basketcase" (also a '75). I picked up a set of forks from an '82. This will be an upgrade, with 35mm fork tubes, and better brakes. It'll be more "mod" than "resto". Hey, that gives me an idea! I'll do that part of the build thread as "The Forks Awaken"! :laugh: :rock:

59Tebo
I actually also saw a 79 fork thats in great condition, problem is I dont know how to fix the brake rotor and caliper attachment issue for that as I know it will for sure be different.

Did you have to get different wheels and, caliper, disc brake and hub?

You can use your wheel and hub but you'd need a later disc (different offset), caliper (different mounting hole spacing), and it would be best to down-size the MC as well. As far as the later brake being better, I'm not sure it is. Your old type has two moving pistons, it applies both pads. The later caliper only has one piston and applies just one of the pads.

Could I actually just throw a disc brake rotor meant for a 77+ xs650 onto the front hub(are the mounts identical?) for a 1975 and call it a day then? Or is the tire width also different between years from 75-76 and 77+ models that might cause my rotor and caliper to not align?

. Any 74-84 front end, (have to Include the triple tree), will interchange.....But you have to to keep these as set.......Note; some 73 parts can be used on the 74-76 in a swap

34mm forks.....................35mm forks
web copy.jpgfol2F0_7 crop 2 copy text.jpg

Last edited:
. Any 74-84 front end, (have to Include the triple tree), will interchange.....But you have to to keep these as set.......Note; some 73 parts can be used on the 74-76 in a swap

34mm forks.....................35mm forks
View attachment 128815View attachment 128816
My XS-1 manual says they can be straitened by a machine shop, as long as they are just bent and not tweaked, or kinked but, I've bent a couple of pairs and replaced them. I wouldn't trust them to to hold a seal. Now I keep one as a breaker bar in my tool drawer box, which is an ER crash cart. (just as a reminder to myself)

Could I actually just throw a disc brake rotor meant for a 77+ xs650 onto the front hub(are the mounts identical?) for a 1975 and call it a day then? Or is the tire width also different between years from 75-76 and 77+ models that might cause my rotor and caliper to not align?
rims are 1.85 19 all years, yes rotors are bolt on swappable 73-84 need to match rotor, fork leg, caliper mount. and caliper. Generally 73-76 all brake parts can mix and match. Then 77 on all brake parts are the same. (specials have angled MC and long upper brake line.)

Back