78' Cafe Build coming back to the Road

pnedac

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi! I have built a few XS 650s and have used this forum a lot for advice and ideas so I figured I would finally give back and document my struggles/build. I am starting with this fine example of a 78 special. I am in the process now of tearing it down and it is crazy how nice the bike looks on the surface, but like every XS I have ever picked up, looks can be decieveing. This is the cleanest looking mess yet. I will be going through this bad boy front to back and giving it my own touches so here we go!

Attachments

• The 78 XS 650 Day one.jpg
    The 78 XS 650 Day one.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 177
Yes, they all need a little something. Is that a garage? I've never seen one that clean. Even the floor looks waxed, lol.

Thanks 5twins, that is my garage indeed. I epoxy coated the floor. Inexpensive DIY ($110 at Home Depot or any hardware store) and very nice looking. Just takes a little time and patience like anything else.

So the good news is that some of the parts that are coming off the bike are giong to be be easy to sell on eBay and the PO did give me a good load of spare and extra parts so I will be able to offset the build cost (a little).

I am thinking of doing something fun with this bike. Red wheels, pearl paint with hydrographics and a tan leather seat. Oh yes, this bike is going to be a sexy beast. Here are my other XS650s of the past just for fun.

Attachments

• 83 XS650 Finished.jpg
    83 XS650 Finished.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 1977 XS Bob2.jpg
    1977 XS Bob2.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 183
Got some work done. I will do a better job of being more detailed. I had a couple nights where I could jump into tearing it down. I was able to strip the wheels and get them painted since the PO gave new brand new tubes and tires.

I also jumped in and put the new tapered neck bearings and did the brass bushings in the swingarm while it was out. Snip snap no problems really. Its never easy, but it is not that hard either. I also rebuilt the forks. The PO had given me all sorts of parts that he clearly intended to get to, but just didn't. Gave me new seals, new bendix gear for the starter. I still need to knock that one out, but I will get to it.

I also put on SS brake lines and new master (the orignals were just rotted completely and dry so I needed new brakes. New caliper kits too. Still need to bleed.

Attachments

• Progress a little.jpg
    Progress a little.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 202
  • Progress a little1.jpg
    Progress a little1.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 189
I have the tins off and stripped, but need to start working on the body work and get them ready for paint prep. Found a couple of juicy dents and some shotty work that was done and to my dismay one of the petcock screws was broken off and stuck in the tank. That was a bear to get out, but a little patience and tenacity was all it took.

I am going to see how it rides with the front fork brace. I think it'll stiffen up the front end (it should anyway) so we will see when it gets back together.

I also put in a pretty good order with MMM at 650 Central. He has been a big help over the years so while I am waiting for all that stuff to get here I will work ont he tank and coveres since he already told me that a few things are on back order.

Three day weekend coming up so that will might have some opportunities to get some work done.

Cheers!

Back