78mm Pistons

I bought a set but haven’t used them yet. Quality is good. Look comparable to OEM in my opinion. The supplier has a good reputation. I would not be hesitant if that is what you want.

Not those, but I've bought loads of stuff from Cruzin Image and been happy with all of it. The shipping is high when you place the order but he ALWAYS sends a partial refund on the shipping and it ends up being reasonable. The shipping has always been surprisingly fast for coming from Japan. I've even ordered parts for the wife's CJ360 from them. His BS34 slides/diaphragms are top notch.

I've used 77.5 mm. pistons for years, no idea how the liners would hold up with 78s. You might want to consult somebody like Gary Hoos who would know for sure. Are you very sure that a bore job is needed?

No, I'm not sure. But I had it apart last winter partially due to hearing a noise I didn't like and thought I found the problem with a damaged small end bearing. I ended up getting a decent crank with excellent rod bearings for ebay and had Hugh rephase it. So both Hugh and I checked it out and it looked OK. In the process I honed the cylinders a bit and put rings in it but neglected to check the piston clearance (dummy me). So this season the noise was now louder, oil consumption is up (new valve seals too) so things are pointing to piston slap due to excessive clearance. I also recently checked compression and it is down a bit especially in the left cylinder and that is where it sounds like the the noise is coming from.

So I won't know for sure what I need to do until I tear it down, at this point in time I'm investigating my options. I did contact Gary and he thought at 65K miles I got my money's worth out of the pistons. One question comes to mind, what is the likelyhood that the bores are OK and I just need new pistons? Never did that before but nowadays money is tight. :-(

I used 78mm pistons for years with no problem to the liners, even used to sprint it, though they were Wiseco not cruizinimage.

I used 78mm pistons for years with no problem to the liners, even used to sprint it, though they were Wiseco not cruizinimage.

Thanks Jay, very good to hear. I was looking for Wiseco pistons but it looks like they are no longer available. That's how I found the cruizinimage pistons.

Back