83 Heritage Special petcock leaks like a sieve

turkeysandwich

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I am trying to get my bike going for the season but the petcock is just letting the whole tank drain right into the carb at a crazy rate. From what I understand this is a vacume petcock on my bike and I was curious if I switch to a gravity petcock will there be issues?

Hey, so I am trying to get my bike going for the season but the petcock is just letting the whole tank drain right into the carb at a crazy rate. From what I understand this is a vacume petcock on my bike and I was curious if I switch to a gravity petcock will there be issues?

Hi Turk and welcome,
Yes, stock XS650 vacuum petcocks don't have a manual "OFF" position
and the list has mebbe a 70% "switch them to manual" consensus.
And for us cheapskates, there is a cheap fix.
File off the little nubbin that stops the petcock handle from going all the way round.
File the petcock handle a tad shorter so it'll point straight up without hitting the gas tank.
UP is a true OFF position for XS650 vacuum petcocks.
And perhaps you have another problem too.
Even with a leaky vacuum petcock or a manual petcock left to ON your whole tank should NOT
"drain right into the carb(s?) at a crazy rate" unless the carb float bowl level control needle is shot.

Have you taken the stock petcock apart to see why it's leaking? Might just need some TLC. There is a great petcock rebuild tutorial in the tech section.

Yes, there is a spring-loaded plunger with an o-ring on it connected to a small rubber diaphragm on the back of the petcock. The vacuum signal sucks this open and fuel is allowed to flow. Maybe that plunger o-ring is just shot, or maybe it's seat in the body is all dirty. I would be taking it all apart. It don't work anyway so what have you got to lose?

The vacuum petcock was the first that 'left the building' with a dashing swing after I got tired of fidling with it. Yes fuel, no fuel... Can't go wrong with a regular petcock. OTOH: I agree what Fred said: Check the carb first. In case you forget to turn off a regular petcock the tank will drain anyway through your carb. So changing or reparing petcocks is of course not the cure for your problem.

The 4 hole rubber "valve" is still available from Yamaha about $10 plus shipping online.
If you rebuild use only the genuine yamaha valve. I've never had an aftermarket one work. Yes the rebuild thread is useful.
I have an 81 petcock apart waiting for the valve to come in. I had 79 petcocks that were rebuilt and working but sat 4 years with no gas, went through cleaned and lubed them and they are back on duty.

Back