83 Kinda Cafe Build

apt3customs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to do some modifications so if anyone wants to critique, give ideas or follow along I'll post some details and pics as I get to them. First some history. 83 xs650 bought dirt cheap for $400 3 yrs ago from some dudes shed, did a full resto mod to it the first year.

Mods already done: hughs pma, petes pamco, heiden oil cooler, uni pods, re-jetted carbs, shorter-stiffer shock set off what i believe was a harley (random shocks found on craigslist), high output coil, full top end engine rebuild, regasketed everything, reselaed everything.

Rode around joyfully for about a year then last year the bike got into a fight with a car and the car won.. minor damage, cracked turn signals, rear brake pedal poked a hole into the right side case, oil cooler, scuffed to hell, handlebars bent, right side controls fracked. Other than that the rest of the bike is still ultra keen so I figure I may as well mod away and get her back on the road for this summer.

So going for a cafe feel but still 2-up riding no hard tail. Not much frame modification other than grinding some unneeded tabs off I may not need anymore :)

Bought a new (really old grungy) seat with good foam at least and seat pan for $15 off a local guy, and I have an upholstry guy fabricating a seat right now.. same pan but more of a long flat bench style. Will def get pics of that for all you seat guys looking for bench seats.

Drag handlebars on the bike at present, ripping all the electronics out and just going to redo the entire electric system from scratch. Ordered 2 new signals from deadbeat customs, some snazzy ones with a grill look face over the lens. A nice sleek throttle control and grips. Looking at in bar mounted controls from Posh. I'll post some pics next garage night I get. Dont really have much of a plan other than going by the seat of my pants and changing some stuff up and really going for a clean sleek look.

Things to figure out, how I am going to hide the few electronics I'll have left (relays etc, small battery, etc), headlight options, taillight options, fuse/breaker system, xsjohn's xs750 oil cooler addition, PIPES (gordon scott curved drags is what Im thinking), probably some other things! After I get it together and ride around a bit might pull it all apart again and do some new paint, possible coating on some things, all DIY except the seat (which Im having done) since I cant stand sewing or messing with fabric. Should be fun!

Last edited:
Just got the seat back from the upholstery guy. Did a great job on it! Almost done purchasing all the odds and ends. New deadbeat customs signals, throttle/grips, purchased a couple spools of wire. Now just looking for some nice gauges and a fuseblock/relay solution.

Seat pic:
2015-03-31.jpg

Back