984 XS650 Kickstand Switch

dubepj

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought this bike (1984 model SK Canadian model) as a non-runner. Found that the kickstand switch is missing. How would this prevent me from having spark at the plugs. What color are the wires coming from switch? Where do they plug in? If it has been bypassed where would I look. Sorry but still looking for the no spark issue. Battery tests good (tested by professional who put load on it). Coil test within parameters. Pickup on the stator tests good. Now my cdi unit is being supposedly being repaired by an
electronics guru. When i get it back I'll try again but i understand the kickstand switch may prevent spark. Hope you guys are patient with me. Thanks

Yes, the sidestand switch and relay act upon the TCI, grounding it out and killing the spark if the bike is put in gear with the sidestand down. If the switch is removed but the relay is still there, the bike will only run in neutral and die when you put it in gear.

You don't add a jumper wire when removing this relay, and I'm not sure what would happen if you did.

Just remove the sidestand relay. This relay will send a ground to the TCI module to disable the spark when the side stand is down. I am not sure what jumperyou are referring to. If you are still having issues with the TCI, send it to me. I have a test jig, scope and spare parts. I am not that far away.

I mentioned the jumper, assuming that the wiring to the relay would need to complete a circuit to continue working.

This thread was a lot of help. Removed relay and right away I had spark. Bike would not run so after checking everything twice, My buddy (Licensed mechanic and bike guy for years) told me to try new plugs. Started 1st kick. Plugs may appear good when not in cylinder but when under compression pressure don't work. The little things can really screw you up. Thanks everyone for the help.

Gee my 1983 still has a functioning side stand switch! I actually had to fabricate a bushing for the switch plunger to keep it lined up better so it works. Now if I could remember to make sure I shift into neutral before putting down the side stand!

Just remove the sidestand relay. This relay will send a ground to the TCI module to disable the spark when the side stand is down. I am not sure what jumperyou are referring to. If you are still having issues with the TCI, send it to me. I have a test jig, scope and spare parts. I am not that far away.
Thanks for input on the thread. So I’m understanding that the blk with white stripe coming from cdi should not be grounded? Just Caped off?

Yes, don't ground it or it will kill your spark. All I did was remove the side stand relay and the switch .....

Sp7Ct9O.jpg

6a0usoz.jpg

No need to add any jumper wires or cap anything off.

Yes, don't ground it or it will kill your spark. All I did was remove the side stand relay and the switch .....

Sp7Ct9O.jpg

6a0usoz.jpg

No need to add any jumper wires or cap anything off.
Hey 5twins leave all those open connectors like that and the electrons will leak out.

Hey 5twins leave all those open connectors like that and the electrons will leak out.
gggGary thanks. I’m doing complete wiring harness everything was clipped about 4-6” from components and I’m colour blind to boot it’s been a nightmare along with various diagrams . I tied black and black with white tci box wires together and proceeded to ground to bat…..Lmao many I cut that and get power at coils thanks man

Back