How does the kickstand interlock work? '83 XS650

delagem

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can someone walk me thru how the Kickstand interlock works?

Bike used to start in neutral on the kickstand. Now it won't; have to pull the clutch in for the starter to spin. (worked fine for years; then intermittent this spring, and now not working at all.

I tested the kickstand switch; it's functioning properly. Fluke Ohmmeter showing OL to 0.0 moving the kickstand in/out. Unplugging the switch didn't bypass the interlock.

Unplugging the relay under the left side cover immediately adjacent to the kickstand switch plug didn't resolve the issue either. Guessing this means the relay itself is bad?

Pic of the bike for attention!

47858869531_42596386b6_c.jpg
IMG_1804 by michael delage, on Flickr

The clutch safety controls the starter... along with the neutral switch.
The kickstand safety controls power to the TCI box.... it kills ignition if you take the bike out of neutral with the stand down.
So the two are actually separate systems.

Easiest way I know to deactivate the stand safety is the un-pin the White/Black wire at the TCI connector. Don't confuse it with the Black/White that goes to the pickup coils.

The clutch safety needs a jumper wire... though I'm drawing a blank on where it goes right now.

clutchI safety wire diagram.jpg

Hi Jim,

thank you for the reply. I seem to be confusing things here. I thought the clutch and side stand interlock worked together. From your diagram maybe they are a little more separate than I thought.

So what would make me need to pull the clutch in order to start, even though the bike is in Neutral?

I ask because my son needs 3 hands to start the bike currently. He broke the choke lever years ago, so he needs to push on the side of the carb rack to engage the choke when starting from cold. Another hand to push the starter button. And now a 3rd hand to pull the clutch.

More pics for attention!

52207773275_72e39b9d4c_c.jpg
IMG_1901 by michael delage, on Flickr

Broke the choke lever? Where?
I was going through some stuff the other day and found the bottom half of an '82/'83 left hand choke control.....the bottom half, the business part that has the lever.

Have a read here. 5twins explains how to bypass the clutch relay.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/can-s...ystem-on-1982-xs650-special.61867/post-743303
Thanks Jim. I bypassed it for now, but I'd like to have it working correctly. Perhaps its the clutch relay that's bad?

Broke the choke lever? Where?
I was going through some stuff the other day and found the bottom half of an '82/'83 left hand choke control.....the bottom half, the business part that has the lever.
It broke at the lever, so we removed all of it a few years ago. It was easy enough to hold the choke rack in with one hand for a few seconds while starting on cold mornings. Now, however, it needs 3 hands to start! Well, until I bypassed the clutch lever switch.

Perhaps its the clutch relay that's bad?
That or the neutral switch has gone bad. The neutral light still work?
If it does, it's most likely the relay. Since most people remove that relay, a Wanted ad here on the forum might be fruitful.

That or the neutral switch has gone bad. The neutral light still work?
If it does, it's most likely the relay. Since most people remove that relay, a Wanted ad here on the forum might be fruitful.

Hmm. Interesting. This is the motor I swapped in over the winter, after the boy bent the crank on the original one.

The neutral switch in the replacement motor one was always on, so I swapped it for the one out of the original motor.

Currently the neutral switch is functioning correctly. I believe the intermittent issues were while the replacement motor was in, but with the "always on" neutral light.

Back